Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Model Railroading > Butte Canyon Bridge

Date: 11/20/14 13:30
Butte Canyon Bridge
Author: Blues

I've been studying photographs of the UP/former SP Butte Canyon Bridge at Shed 10 over the Donner Pass Route. My question is what kit would be the most logical place to start an HO model of this ballasted deck bridge? Are there architectural drawings of the bridge that are available? Thanks! Jeff

Date: 11/20/14 15:31
Re: Butte Canyon Bridge
Author: Stottman

"close enough" would be the Central Valley Truss kits.

Keep in mind that the bridge at Shed 10 is actually two separate bridges (but with one deck), and that the bridges themselves seem to have been built at different times, so they don't match.

If you need photos, lmk. I took 80+ photos of the bridge a year or two ago.

Date: 11/20/14 18:05
Author: jmj3293

I have been trying to replicate that scene for years. Its hard because to model it to scale requires a large space. But it has to be made from scratch. I plan to start another attempt this winter. I have the shed completed just need to build the bridge. Central Valley has some good girders to start with. Mine will have a two track mainline which presents even more of a challenge because of my limited clearance between the track and the backdrop.

Date: 11/20/14 20:27
Author: Stottman

The bridge is currently single track, though it was double at one time. The switch for a double track portion is just inside shed 10.

Even a compressed scene in HO would be at least 5 feet wide.

Depth though, would not really be an issue as the roadbed/grade is on a cut shelf on the side of a mountain. 18 inches would be ideal, but might be able to narrow it down even more.

Date: 11/21/14 10:25
Author: Blues

I would be very interested to see your model of Shed 10! I have been working on some drawings for modeling purposes of Tunnels 6, 7, and 8 and the associated sheds. The portals of the east and west ends of Tunnel 41, Shed 47 are also on my list. Would you mind sharing your source for information on these structures? Jeff

Date: 11/21/14 14:38
Author: TCnR

It may well be single track but there's still two distinctly different bridges at that location. I've climbed around there and have photos in the pile of slides, but nothing to post today. It is odd to see the two designs next to each other.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0329 seconds