Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Model Railroading > NAR SD38-2 kitbash

Date: 11/24/14 00:28
NAR SD38-2 kitbash
Author: fbe

So if a modeler wanted to build one of the NAR 400 river series locomotives from 12/75 it would seem one of the upcoming Bowser Canadian SD40-2 units would make a good place to start. There are 11 different bodies to chose from so which one is closest for steps, pilots, nose and cab to the NAR diesels so we can get reservations in now or negotiate some undecorated production. Then the search can begin for Athearn Genesis GP38-2 long hood parts.

Thanks.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 11/24/14 03:52
Re: NAR SD38-2 kitbash
Author: tsokolan

Hmmm, never thought about building one this way. You'd need one of the Bowser SD40-2's with the 81" nose, steps might match the SD38-2 but I'd have to check photos. The long hood might be the hard part to find, although you coupld use the hood from a Kato SD38-2 and Cannonize the fans. Fuel tank is another story since I'm not sure on the size of the tank found on the 38-2.

-Trevor

Date: 11/24/14 09:26
Author: fbe

That is one of the secrets of EMD/GMD construction, GP and SD locomotives use mostly the same construction above the deck. If you count compartment doors from the rear forward on a GP40 and an SD40 they are the same. There is a small amount of extra length, say 18" or less between the back of the cab and the traction motor blower chute but if you set the long carbody of the GP38-2 at the same spot the rear of the SD40-2 ends and leave the cab at the same spot the SD40-2 comes from the factory you can fill the difference.

The Kato alternative might work as well if there are not big differences in the steps and pilots. I was just thinking with Bowser and Intermountain doing GMD specific construction it might be nice to take advantage of that. Since there were only about 5 SD38-2s built in Canada, 4 NAR, 1 BCH, chances of getting a manufacturer to do this are slim.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 11/24/14 12:23

Update with photos:

Ya still got some work ahead of you Al, looking at the photos the steps differ from what Bowser is offering with the SD40-2. Fuel tank is shorter too! In my stash downstairs I've got an in progress CN SD38-2 project, but I think I started with the Kato SD38-2 and added Eric or Rail Failure steps.

-Trevor

Date: 11/24/14 12:26

#1 CN 5702 August 1 1981 Roma Junction AB Ross Pugsley photo

#2 from an engineer friend of mine, the NAR grey bleeding through the black on the roof of one of the units.

-Trevor

Date: 11/25/14 03:01
Author: rschonfelder

Trevor, when did the NAR takeover occur? I thought it was in 1982 so was surprised to see your photo of the 1981 labelled bandit.

Also, in reference to the steps on the Bowser GMD, what is different? Is it not the standard Canadian ladder type step as shown in your photos?

Thanks,
Rick

Date: 11/25/14 05:51

CN took over CP's portion of the NAR in 1980. The 38-2 steps have 4 rungs, whereas the 40-2's have 3.
Trevor

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0754 seconds