Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Model Railroading > Need Suggestions For Backdrop

Date: 12/14/14 11:08
Need Suggestions For Backdrop
Author: philhoov

i'm looking for ideas for a backdrop for my layout in my garage.
Layout is 8X12 and I have about 18" walk around space on the side and end.
Wondering if I could use 4X8 Masonite?
I'm in the Boise, Idaho area and my garage avoids freezing temps but can be warm in summer weather.
Will Masonite work in my climate (dry w/very little humidity), or is there something better?
I want to cover the window and probably also the breaker panel (with something removable).
Can't cover up the sprinkler control box to the right of the electrical panel and don't want to move it.
I could install a 4X8 sheet of Masonite overlaying the electrical panel with a cutout for the sprinkler control box too.
Thinking maybe it would work to install removable 4X8 Masonite sheets using thin wooden trim pieces at top/bottom with some sort of rotating clips?
Have to be able to access breaker panel, so that panel must be removable.
Should I paint the Masonite before or after installing on the wall?
How can I get some clouds painted on it?
Can I just mist some gray/white spray paint over a blue background to create a hazy sky?
Anyone done anything similar?

Date: 12/14/14 13:24
Re: Need Suggestions For Backdrop
Author: Westbound

Looks like your RR is about finished except for a background. I would use Masonite or even better, just paint on the walls and panels, just covering the window as you feel appropriate. My experience has been to paint the sky with appropriate colors, using a roller. Then paint the mountains by using a fist or smaller size sponge, NOT a brush or roller. Just paint the distant mountains in first, strengthening the colors as you get closer and larger in the foreground.

Thinking back, I was hesitant to paint my walls vs. painting a backdrop on something else. Not many folks ever paint "pictures" on their walls, thinking problems down the way with a prospective buyer when it's time to sell. I have no plans to move or sell but even if I do, paint is cheap. With a picture wall in your garage or anywhere else your RR is located, it is likely to improve the room. Let the next owner decide!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/14 10:09 by Westbound.

Date: 12/14/14 13:33
Author: SeaboardMan

Can't tell for sure but it looks as if you can move around the layout ( looks good btw). If so it seems you could have removable panels attached to the layout itself. No need to paint the garage, and if the panels are 24-30" high should work great.
John

Date: 12/14/14 14:31
Author: philhoov

The layout is in the 3rd bay of my garage.
There's an access hatch in the middle, but I wouldn't want to attached the backdrop to the edges of the layout itself (would block views).
Is there a problem with using Masonite with temps ranging from 25 degrees to 110 degrees inside the garage?

Date: 12/14/14 15:42
Author: up833

All building codes require free space in front of the electrical panel for access. Dont get the blue "sky" to dark and it looks ok to bring the blue up say 3 or 4 feet above the layout....or do the garage walls in light blue. Take a photo of some clouds you like and paint something similiar. Sponge as mentioned works well.
Roger Beckett

Date: 12/14/14 18:41
Author: upkpfan

Just paint the walls like it has been suggested and paint right over the junction box too and blend it right on in with everything else. upkpfan

Date: 12/14/14 21:48
Author: nicknack

upkpfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just paint the walls like it has been suggested
> and paint right over the junction box too and
> blend it right on in with everything else. upkpfan

I'll third this. You can even stencil in some clouds if the mood strikes. A friend's layout is done like this and works great.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/15/14 08:53
Author: oldSALrailfan

Perfect timing for this thread. I will be starting the conversion of a bedroom to train room, and want to have it painted prior to starting to build my layout. I plan to have the layout against the walls (24 - 30" wide) and will utilize them for back drops. I have noted everyone's suggestions!
Matt
Chattanooga, Tn.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds