Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Model Railroading > Scratchbashing a Caboose for the Ft. Dodge, Des Moines

Date: 12/14/14 19:56
Scratchbashing a Caboose for the Ft. Dodge, Des Moines
Author: bnsfsd70

Happy Sunday Night!
Just thought I'd share with you some progress that I've been making on a Ft. Dodge, Des Moines & Southern caboose that I'm building for Mike Porter. It all started about a month or so ago when I asked Mike about the stand-in cabooses he was using on that section of the railroad. Well, those conversations ended up with a "Well, I could probably do that...," and that was that.

Photo 1: Here's a shot of FDDM #094 that I ripped from a PDF that accompanied a custom run of Microscale decals. Unfortunately, I don't have any more info on the photo.

Photo 2: Starting with one of Walthers' CB&Q cabooses, the easy side of the car was the one where I simply added a window below the "cupola." Big thanks to you all for the help in my thread a few weeks ago ( http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,3594001,3594516#msg-3594516 ) with help finding the correct windows and trucks.

Photo 3: The other side required removing a window, and knowing that there'd be NO way to remove all traces of it through patching it, I decided to just replace the whole side. No matter how many times I've made cuts like these, it's always disconcerting to slice through a perfectly good model like this.

You can see some of Mike's FDDM here:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,3016995,page=1

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 12/14/14 20:03
Re: Scratchbashing a Caboose for the Ft. Dodge, Des Moi

Photos 4-5: An hour or so with some Evergreen siding, a pencil, scale rule and a sharp X-Acto and our three-sided caboose got itself a new fourth side! The windows are Tichy #8068 and a near-perfect match for those on the Walthers caboose.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted on progress on this car, though Christmas travel and cold weather (painting problems) may stall some of it for a bit.

Happy modeling!
- Jeff Carlson

Date: 12/14/14 20:26
Author: fbe

Very nice work in what seems to becoming a lost art.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 12/14/14 20:58
Author: MMD

That is very nice to see, I'm sure you will get a lot of enjoyment in building it. I know I do when I build some thing that you can not buy. Lets see some more photos as you get further along in the build.

Malcolm
New Zealand.

Date: 12/15/14 15:01

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice work in what seems to becoming a lost
> art.
>
> Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Thanks! I was talking with another friend about this, and in the time that I could spend getting on here and complaining that car isn't available, I could've just cut it out myself.

- Jeff

Date: 12/15/14 15:02

MMD Wrote:
> That is very nice to see, I'm sure you will get a
> lot of enjoyment in building it. I know I do when
> I build some thing that you can not buy. Lets
> see some more photos as you get further along in
> the build.
>
> Malcolm
> New Zealand.

Thanks Malcolm! I love building stuff like this, and I'll be sure to keep everyone here posted on the progress.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 12/15/14 16:49
Author: wag216

Jeff - Let us see a photo of the "other" side of the crummy? wag216

Date: 12/15/14 21:10

wag216 Wrote:
> Jeff - Let us see a photo of the "other" side of
> the crummy? wag216

Are you talking about the prototype or the model? So far as the model goes, you can see both sides of it in photos 2 & 5. So far as prototype shots go, they seem to be rather lacking, unless you know of a source for them...

- Jeff

Date: 12/17/14 10:50
Author: sfn2633

Jeff

Looks like a really nice project for Mike. I wondered what you are going to use for decals?

Jeff Needham
Olathe

Date: 12/17/14 11:47

sfn2633 Wrote:
> Jeff
>
> Looks like a really nice project for Mike. I
> wondered what you are going to use for decals?
>
> Jeff Needham
> Olathe

Thanks, Jeff. So far as decals go, there was a special run of them done a few years ago by Microscale that I'll be using. You can see the pdf addendum to the set here:

http://www.greatdecals.com/Netterfield/FTDDM&S_Microscale_Lettering_Set_Insert_V3_03_2012.pdf
Unfortunately, I don't know anything of the set's availability these days, as I'll be using a set provided by Mike. I've also got one more caboose in the works right now (#093) that I'll get pictures of posted later.

Thanks again,
- Jeff Carlson

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0595 seconds