Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Model Railroading > Like UP Streamliners, but don't have space for COLA?

Date: 12/15/14 17:44
Like UP Streamliners, but don't have space for COLA?
Author: RuleG

The Union Pacific Streamliners such as the City of Los Angeles were inspiring trains. However, like many of the classic 1050s/1960s-era streamliners, if complete consists are to modeled, they would easily overwhelm smaller layouts.

UP's Salt Lake City, UT - Butte, MT in its latter years offers an interesting solution. One E-unit and a baggage, sleeper & coach is an appealing protoype for modelers with limited space.

Here's a thread with a photo posted by Valmont in yesterday's "Nostalgia & History" Board:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3603228

A reasonable HO-scale replica can be assembled using an E-unit and passenger cars from Walther's Union Pacific Cities run (2009). However, those who are precise should know that the Butte Special sleeper was a 4-6-4 whereas none of the Walthers sleepers from the Cities set have this configuration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/14 19:06 by RuleG.

Date: 12/16/14 11:18
Re: Like UP Streamliners, but don't have space for COLA
Author: grahamline

More specifically, the 6-6-4 cars on the Butte Special -- "American View" was one -- that had (I think) a section at one end of the car removed and a small snack bar built in.

Date: 12/16/14 11:46
Author: wag216

Depending on you time period. there are several trains that could work on the UP. Here, on the Kansas Div. my favorite train was/is 69-70. And in the last days, 9-10 the City of Kansas City would be a good one. wag216

Date: 12/16/14 16:14
Author: RuleG

grahamline Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More specifically, the 6-6-4 cars on the Butte
> Special -- "American View" was one -- that had (I
> think) a section at one end of the car removed and
> a small snack bar built in.

My 1970 Official Guide lists a 4-6-4 car being assigned to the Butte Special. However, a 6-6-4 was produced by Walthers, so according to your post, a modeler can have a correct sleeper for this train.

Per your snack bar note, the Official Guide equipment notation describes the car as a "Sleeper-Snack Bar."

Date: 12/16/14 16:33
Author: displacedneb

Early morning summer 1969 (I think)I was waiting for a late No. 10 at Salina. What should appear going west was E9 A and B, 1 500 series coach and caboose. Asked one of the UP clerks what this train was and
he told me that 369/370 were still operating between Salina and Ellis. I sure do miss those days.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0324 seconds