Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Model Railroading > KRK's Dream Layout

Date: 12/16/14 16:08
KRK's Dream Layout
Author: KeyRouteKen

The attached photo shows the 5x9 layout I had started in our former 'dining room'. Health issues and other priorities delayed my completion. Now that I recently retired (10-25) I have time to "get serious" and build a nice O-gauge layout. I recently bought a tremendous amount of equipment at three local shows. I went crazy. Bought RDC's, NYC Hudsons (2), WP F3's (A-A), D&RGW F3's (A-B-A), a rotary snow plow, various trolleys and interurbans, some diesels, several buildings... Who cares about health issues ?? This is going to give me "positive thoughts" and get me revigorated--now that I am home 24-hours a day, after almost 50-years of working! Never did that before! This past Friday night, my good wife Suzie suggested that I vacate the 'dining room' entirely and she'll "give me" the entire 'living room' to 'do this right'. What a gal !! This means lots more track, wider radius curves, and so on. And so, the 5x9 in the photo will be taken apart after 01-10-15 and new construction (160 sq ft+) will commence in the 'living room'. I will be including an interchange point between the O-ga 3-rail and a small section of O-scale 2-rail traction for demonstrating my PE and Sacramento Northern interurbans. So I will be a busy bee!

By the way, that nice wife of mine (Suzie) who is giving me more space all of a sudden, we've been married over forty-one years. She KNOWS trains! Goes to all the shows. Sets up the tables. She KNOWS what my large collection of trains, books and videos are worth, in case something happens to me! (Had open heart surgery two years ago!!)

Anyway, in regards to the second photo I originally posted, of the Lionel "Z" transformer, et al... The two primary outputs for running trains are hooked-up in series with each of the "bulbs" shown immediately above the 'Z' . These are old auto headlamp bulbs, # 1000. They act as automatic circuit breakers! Several companies used to make them in the 20's, 30's and 40's. The specs are:

6-8V, 32 & 32 C. P., Automotive Headlamp, BA15d double contact bayonet base,
RP11 Glass, C-2V Dual Filament, 32&32C, 6.2V, 4.19A Maximum, 2C-2V...

The two filaments are hooked in-series, and then, the combination is hooked in-series with your power leads. For modern equipment, the bulbs don't usually light. For much older equipment, that have older motors drawing more current, the bulbs may light dimly or pretty darn bright. If an absolute short, the bulbs may burn out and have to be replaced!

I learned this trick on the giant O-scale trolley layout (130x75 ft) at the Eastbay Model Engineers Society layout in Emeryville, CA. many years ago where I was very active.

See attached photo of Kenny (KRK) running O-scale trolleys...

Thanks folks.. Have a great day!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/14 16:29 by KeyRouteKen.

Date: 12/16/14 16:19
Re: KRK's Dream Layout

UPDATE: In order to make space in the "Living Room" for a new super layout, the starter layout will have to be moved out of the "Dining Room" (shown in the photo). Trains on the wall will have to be moved out. Decorative collector plates moved or stored! Suzie wants the old Dining Room to become a small "reading room" .

Certain bookcases full of railroad DVD's and "others" will then be moved from the Living Room into the Dining Room. The display shelves in the Dining Room will be removed. Equipment to be stored in new Yards. She has suggested selling or donating our nice Dining Room set with chairs, sofa, coffee table and other stuff. Gee, what kind of sauce has she been taking ? (grin) Besides buying a bunch of trains (a bunch), I invested close to $ 500.00 just in track and switches. The new layout will be all "tubular"-type, code 031 or larger (as required) with wooden ties!

Power (so far) will be provided by two CW-80 transformers; one "KW"; one "ZW-R"; and one "Z" type... Others might be added as required. The attached photo shows one of four support platforms to get the layout started. Dimensions are 46"W by 24"D x 30.25"H The existing small layout (45 sq ft) will be moved from Dining Room and sit on saw horses...

KRK

(to be continued)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/14 16:25 by KeyRouteKen.

Date: 12/16/14 18:31
Author: atsf121

Have fun Ken, you've earned it.

Nathan

Date: 12/16/14 20:16

atsf121 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have fun Ken, you've earned it.
>
> Nathan

Thanks, Nathan. After January 10th, the wife and I will be preparing the spaces in the house for the conversion. Over a period of time, I plan on taking digital photos of the "progress". This should be fun !

KRK

Date: 12/16/14 20:52
Author: TonyJ

Ha Ha Ha! It won't be long, Ken, when you'll be living in just one room and trains in all the others. Have fun! - Tony

Date: 12/16/14 21:29
Author: Harlock

I like the light bulb trick. Fuses with warning indication.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0658 seconds