Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Model Railroading > Trackwork begins on the 2014 PC...

Date: 12/17/14 06:13
Trackwork begins on the 2014 PC...
Author: navarch1

It is time to start laying track on the 2014 Penn Central...I started just west of St Lawrence Yard here at the moveable bridge at CP 314. I also have been painting locomotives....including this C44...a long-ago-painted replacement shell for one that had an accident...taking a loooonnngggg dive off the back of a truck....the Kato shell will now cover a sound-equipped drive.

Bob

Date: 12/17/14 06:25
Re: Trackwork begins on the 2014 PC...
Author: oldSALrailfan

Nice work Bob. I can empathize with you on how long things take to get going or completed. I finally have an empty nest, and have been waiting years to convert a bedroom to a train room.
Matt
Chattanooga, Tn.

Date: 12/17/14 06:33

A final decision has been made to go with a 2" foam subroadbed as well. Driven partly by the need to move a lot of layout "top" up a long stairway, foam won out over much heavier plywood, The desire to be able to sculpt elevation differences more easily was a factor. Cork roadbed will be secured atop the foam, with track laid on that. I have all of the track and turnouts needed, in hand as of yesterday - so off we go.

Benchwork is at the 40% mark now, so the track effort seems a good idea, starting with the large St. Lawrence yard. I designed my own "Remote/Manual" turnout controls, making the parts out of ABS plastic on a 3D printer. We'll see how it works....otherwise I am using Peco's new machines.

The layout also underwent a major track plan re-design. I'll post it when time allows...work has been a bear of late.

Bob

Date: 12/17/14 06:43

Bob, what is the width and height of you layout. Looks like 30" wide and 50" to top of foam??

Date: 12/17/14 07:20

oldSALrailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bob, what is the width and height of you layout.
> Looks like 30" wide and 50" to top of foam??

That spot...the St. Lawrence Yard, is 38" front to back, and 57" to the top of the foam.

Bob

Date: 12/17/14 11:52

Thanks Bob. I'll look at these measurements and see how it fits my height / reach. I'll be building a 10 x 11 with three sides against the walls.

Date: 12/18/14 06:34

oldSALrailfan Wrote:
> Thanks Bob. I'll look at these measurements and
> see how it fits my height / reach. I'll be
> building a 10 x 11 with three sides against the
> walls.

You may find you will ultimately need a step-platform along the edge on the floor, elevated about a foot, like Tony Koester has on his NKP layout in a few places. Depends on what you want to reach. I bought one of those Topside Creepers from MicroMark to build the layout/trackwork/scenery with for just that purpose - reach :)

Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/14 06:35 by navarch1.

Date: 12/19/14 07:52

Just checked out the Micro Mark creeper...great piece of equipment to have. Thanks Bob

Date: 12/19/14 13:30

oldSALrailfan Wrote:
> Just checked out the Micro Mark creeper...great
> piece of equipment to have. Thanks Bob

I could not build this thing without it....it will be really hands for track laying and scenery work...

...you are quite welcome.

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0531 seconds