Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Model Railroading > Tricks of storing modulels

Date: 12/17/14 10:23
Tricks of storing modulels
Author: wingomann

Hi all,
One of my kids just started college so I may have a train room opening up in the not too distant future. But in the mean time I figure I can start my layout by building modules. I plan to use the guidelines from the NorCal Free-mo group since I found them on-line. The guidelines are good for the base but I am wondering what do you do to protect the scenery when storing the modules? Do you have to remove and store structures separately (and risk handling damage)? How about backdrops - attach them separately so that they can be removed for storage? Is there any tricks to make it so that you can stack the modules?
Joe Mann
Tualatin, OR

Date: 12/17/14 11:38
Re: Tricks of storing modulels
Author: SilvertonRR100

Stacking doesn't work well once you put anything on the top, like track, etc. There have been some elaborate systems for holding modules and keeping them from touching each other. Many have built racks or boxes that hold the modules without touching. Spacing can be varied to allow for structures, trees, etc. The racks and boxes also allow for mobility. The boxes usually have lids that totally enclose the modules, protecting the modules from external damaging factors. It all comes down to your needs beyond storage. If it is just at your home, racks should work well. If you are going to take them to shows, then the more protective boxes would be better. Putting substantial casters under the rack/box makes moving a lot easier too.

Rob
Beaverton

Date: 12/17/14 16:52
Author: ChrisCampi

Joe, I plan on storing mine on shelving racks like these below. Granted mine will be small 24x30 inch but should work for bigger sections also. Just slide them on or off the brackets. Affordable also.

Chris

Date: 12/17/14 16:56
Author: nicknack

With the NSNG (Near Sighted Narrow Gaugers) in Denver, modules have a "coffin" that covers all four sides and bolts onto the ends to encapsulate it, with about half inch on the sides to clear. This means that the top, the scenery, the sides, the fascia all come to a show clean and clear, and the coffins take the abuse. They can be stacked in the back of a trailer to make the trip.

Date: 12/17/14 19:12
Author: pmack

There is a small freemo contingent associated with with Tualatin Valley club in Beaverton, OR. They adopted the Coldslap (Vancouver, BC) group's pattern of making the modules in pairs. Then an end plate of plywood attaches to the ends and holds the modules scenery to scenery. Two modules joined in such a way can be heavy but stack and transport well.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0694 seconds