Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Model Railroading > Decoder Question

Date: 12/21/14 11:49
Decoder Question
Author: wheel_slip

Question folks...
Is the MRC 0001801 DC/DCC decoder a dual mode decoder (meaning it can operate on either straight dc layouts or DCC layouts)? The reason I asked is most decoders I have that have this feature always spell it out in the documentation as being a "dual mode" decoder. This one doesn't. It seems to be a early model decoder from MRC with very limited functions.

This decoder works as intended on the DCC system, but will only run in one direction on DC, leaving me to think this is not capable of doing both.

Anybody know?

Andy

Date: 12/21/14 13:59
Re: Decoder Question
Author: brfriedm

If you look at the chart below from 2010, it does state it is a dual mode decoder and runs on DC and DCC. See note 4 at bottom of the page.

Happy Holidays Andy.

Bruce

http://www.modelrec.com/resources/trainSound/Decoder%20Chart%202010-06.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/14 14:00 by brfriedm.

Date: 12/21/14 14:50

Thanks Bruce,
It is really an old decoder... Older than I thought. Well, it works as intended on DCC, just doesn't work on dc, but it's not mine so... At least it works half right :)

Andy

Date: 12/21/14 16:20
Author: brfriedm

Keep in mind Andy that when u use a DCC decoder on DC, you usually have to come to a full stop and wait a few seconds and then reverse direction for it to work.

Bruce

Date: 12/21/14 16:26

I'm just glad this isn't mine ;).

Andy

brfriedm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keep in mind Andy that when u use a DCC decoder on
> DC, you usually have to come to a full stop and
> wait a few seconds and then reverse direction for
> it to work.
>
> Bruce

Date: 12/21/14 19:17
Author: fbe

Commonly you have to set the value CV29 or is it CV39 to allow the decoder to recognize DC operations. The decoder manual should explain it for you.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0328 seconds