Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Model Railroading > P2K SD60M Sunshades

Date: 01/25/15 14:58
P2K SD60M Sunshades
Author: SantaFe9820

What do you use to install em? I drilled a hole with a #76 in a pinvise like the instructions said, but that's not going to work. I redrilled the holes with a #74 and I've cleaned out the holes with wire and it still won't budge. I'm terrified I'll break something. Does anyone just cut off the tabs and carefully glue them in place?

While I'm at it, are the instructions telling me to cut off the tabs on the ditch lights and just glue them to the walkway?

I'm very much a beginner at this, so bear with me if I sound stupid. Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/15 15:03 by SantaFe9820.

Date: 01/25/15 15:30
Re: P2K SD60M Sunshades
Author: grahamline

The plastic pegs on those are pretty useless and give up at the slightest bump. You can bent a piece of .010 brass or piano wire, bend it into a squared-off U to match the mounting holes, and glue it to the underside of the shade.Insert the wire and bend the shade down to the desired angle.

I've been experimenting with metal foil from wine bottles in the same way, to represent the UP's canvas shades.

Date: 01/25/15 19:41
Author: funnelfan

replace with the A-line metal sunshades.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 01/25/15 22:33
Author: MMD

grahamline Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The plastic pegs on those are pretty useless and
> give up at the slightest bump. You can bent a
> piece of .010 brass or piano wire, bend it into a
> squared-off U to match the mounting holes, and
> glue it to the underside of the shade.Insert the
> wire and bend the shade down to the desired
> angle.
>
> I've been experimenting with metal foil from wine
> bottles in the same way, to represent the UP's
> canvas shades.

For canvas sun shades I use a length of .006 brass wire [ Detail Acc. ] bent to the shape/angle required and then ACC [ super glue ] a piece of facial tissue to the wire and trim when it is dry. You could use two thickness of tissue if you wanted. Looks just like canvas.

Malcolm
New Zealand.

Date: 01/26/15 07:08
Author: binder001

I agree with replace the whole P2K part with an etched sunshade from A-Line. The fret has the drilling template, just be judicious in the amount of glue you use. It doesn't take much - I use a piece of wire or sharp toothpick to apply just a wee bit. So far all my A-Line sun shades have survived my ham-handed handling and derailments. The only tricky bit is careful touch up painting to get the new parts to match, but with a bit of practice you can get them quite close.

re: comments about canvas "awning type" sunshades. I also use the A-Line shades (the angles ones). I cut off the shade near the mounting pins and cement it in place, add the lower frame from thin wire, bend the sunshade down and cement it to the frame. A bit of khaki-tan paint and they look pretty good.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0353 seconds