Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Model Railroading > 2014 Penn Central Track Plans

Date: 01/30/15 06:33
2014 Penn Central Track Plans
Author: navarch1

People are always asking me for copies of the re-designed track plans, and when I PDF the CAD file of it, it is too large a file to post here online - so, I made PDF's of sheets 1, 2 and 3 of the track plan and posted them to my dropbox account. You can download them by clicking the link.

Sheet 1 is a small file covering the overall layout characteristics. Some of the yard capacities need to be updated - I will do that soon. They largely reflect the former design - I just noticed that :(

Sheet 2 is the layout of the lower level staging. You will note it is made of dimension lumber - and this is because I did not want to build an entire sublevel with top under the railroad. By prefabbing the staging in small, manageable sized pieces I can hang it from under the main layout framing at some future date once the helices are installed, and easily adjust it. It will not require legs of any sort, reducing the forest of legs problem, and it can all be built atop the benchwork and be easily accessible for testing before being installed. I can easily build a number of handy-supports for it just like I did for the main benchwork to hold it while I attach it below and can be pre-wired.

Sheet 3 is the huge file.....with the main track plan. A few areas have typical signaling drawn in. The turnout types are all identified. The drawing is done originally in AutoCAD, and the sizes and angles of the turnouts are as exact as possible. When laying a printout over the benchwork, turnouts fit exactly as shown. All drawings have a scale attached to them, so no matter how large or small you print them, you can measure things. All curves are circular but there is room in all locations for easements which I will add as I build.

I've moved away from trying to model a reasonable facsimile of the Massena line, to creating a "plausible" model of a line that is a main traffic corridor to Canada, with proper industrial and interchange possibilities based on the region. Trackwork has begun!

Here is the link - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bbp7qyahlaa87r9/AACYdJBxr0aKkbkNNnlzlf95a?dl=0

Bob

Date: 01/30/15 07:19
Re: 2014 Penn Central Track Plans
Author: penncentral74

Nice work on the documentation. Best of luck with your venture.

Date: 01/30/15 08:47
Re: 2014 Penn Central Track Plans
Author: navarch1

penncentral74 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice work on the documentation. Best of luck with
> your venture.

Thank you very much, I appreciate it :) I have a goal of getting something running in some small way shortly. I'll post progress as I go.

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0432 seconds