Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Model Railroading > Changing Directions

Date: 02/28/15 20:50
Changing Directions
Author: imrl

For some time, I have been thinking of what I would model for a "dream layout". I have a small switching layout currently, but I'm dreaming big! My little layout is roughly patterned after operations in Topeka, KS on the UP. You can find some pictures here ( http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,2491384,2491384#msg-2491384 ). Now, I've been bouncing off ideas with a few friends and was leaning on modeling the Rock Osland in the last 5 years of operation. However, I want some great operation on a portion of railroad that I can relate to. I just couldn't think of anything on the Rock that fit my bill. Then, one day, I had an epiphany! What section of what railroad do I have a connection to, would offer great operations for multiple operators and is something different that isn't well represented? I realized that it was the railroad I started my career on, the I and M Raillink.

Now, there isn't much commercially available for the IMRL. The only thing I've found so far are the Kato SD40's. I thought that Athearn may have done an F45 but have been unable to locate one. Many IMRL diesels were just hastily patched from their previous owners, anyways, so I figured I'd start there. The first candidate up for modeling turned out the be IMRL367, a former CNW, former former BN SD45. The starting point was a Kato CNW SD45 I found on The Bay of E's. I removed the CNW lettering, added some basic details (MU hoses, snow plow, 5 chime, firecracker antenna), dry rushed on some BN green to simulate the former identity trying to reassert itself, plopped on some IMRL decals, and weathered a bit to look old and abused, and this is what I came up with. I'm thrilled that I have finally finished a project! I find that sometimes my ADD kicks in and find it hard to get through a project. I'd call this about 85% complete. I still would like to maybe add a couple more details and also functional ditch lights. But, for now I have a functional representation of the IMRL367 that I remember. Now that this one is complete, I can start the next of the remaining 15 diesels (6 SD40's, 3 more SD45's, 1 F45, 3 GP9's and 2 GP35's turned GP38-2's) that I've recently picked up to represent the IMRL from about 2001.

Thanks for looking!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/15 20:51 by imrl.

Date: 02/28/15 20:53
Re: Changing Directions

And, to illustrate the sad state of affairs of the real life IMRL367, here are 2 pictures of the real life engine. One is mine, the other is not. Mine showed the rear cab door being primer grey with a red door handle.

Date: 02/28/15 21:02
Author: bnsfsd70

Looks great! Certainly a good start to a RR that's not often modeled. Interesting that this is the second IMRL-related post on the MR forum today. ;-)

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 03/01/15 03:32
Author: Newman

You may have to talk to Robbie(MrMRL) about this. I remember way back when he was starting out I think he was posting up pics of all these awesome MRL engines. I do believe that at one point he did manage to model all of the engines on the MRL roster, whether that is true nowadays I am not too sure. Point to the story is that I think you may have to do the same thing, in that if you want the engine, your gonna have to scratchbuild it yourself..the engine you posted up is a great start and I am sure he would be proud of your work. Fire him a PM if you have a question...it's fairly safe to say he is probably the MRL guru around here...enjoy!

Date: 03/01/15 04:14
Author: iaisfan

Nice work on that! So are you making the switch and starting on a new layout now too? With 16 models on hand, it sounds like you've taken the plunge. Nice to have another regional modeler in our ranks...and it's handy that your choice fits well with your user name. :-)

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 03/01/15 08:56

The current layout will stand until we move. We are considering a move within the next couple years. However, once I get enough IMRL locomotives ready, I will most likely change over themes. However, I will have to change about half of my 80 cars as they are just too new as well. I don't know if I will model every IMRL locomotive as there are well over 100, not counting a big group of leased CEFX/FURX ex-BNSF SD40-2's. I plan on focusing on the era before they showed up in 2002.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0555 seconds