Home Open Account Help 186 users online

Model Railroading > Main Staging gets new lighting - CSX Philly sub

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/01/15 13:35
Main Staging gets new lighting - CSX Philly sub
Author: brfriedm

So I built this main staging area about 10 years ago. It was my first staging area and at this point I have 2.(will probably build a 3rd this year) This staging is really the heart of the layout. It sits underneath Philadelphia and you get to it via a very large helix. This staging has 16 staging tracks which hold about 400 cars and then there is a locomotive staging area that can hold about 30 engines on 8 tracks. The design has held up well over 10 years of operating. It is one of my favorite places on the layout. I built a 2nd staging area about 5 years ago that has 6 staging tracks that holds another 200 cars.(it has longer tracks)

Anyways, when I built the main staging, I did not install lighting. I felt the light flooding in from the sides was enough and it was fine till about 2 years ago. With aging eyes, I found the low light was not always helpful and I started putting small flashlights around the staging area to use. Mostly to see the lead engine so I could dial up the consist to run the train.

After this years open house in November, I decided enough was enough. I wanted to install lighting. My requirements were that it be bright, LED based and linkable.

I started searching and had some leads but nothing that moved me. I was at Home Depot 3 weeks ago and was checking in their lighting dept and a guy was putting out this new LED Linkable LED strip lighting from Lithonia Lighting. It had a high Lumen output, was linkable(you can connect them together with cables) and came in 1,2 and 4 foot lengths. Hmmm.

2 weeks ago, I bit the bullet and bought two 4' sections to try. Home Depot guy told me to try them and return them if I did not like them. OK I was in.

So the story has an awesome ending. This LED lighting is incredible. The color temperature I like allot, 3k, the Lumen output/brightness is incredible and I love this LED lighting. This lighting also has low power draw and the LED lighting gives off a very even light. It is quite nice.

So the pictures tell the story. I am so amazed at the difference and have started measuring the Staging II area for new lighting also.

Bruce

Here are some shots that show the staging area with no lighting on. I had cleaned out staging of all 16 trains and ran them up on the layout so I could crawl in and install the lighting. It took me several hours to run those trains and it was quite enjoyable. I also used this time to perform maintenance on some switches that needed adjustment and then cleaned and vacuumed all tracks.

Date: 03/01/15 13:37
Re: Main Staging gets new lighting - CSX Philly sub

All trains back in staging and new staging showing off its new lighting.

Date: 03/01/15 13:38

2nd set of shots with lighting including locomotive staging area. You can see staging 2 in the background behind locomotive staging area.

Thanks Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/15 13:40 by brfriedm.

Date: 03/01/15 13:45

Here's a video of Q703 trash train arriving at staging. She's the first one in after updates. 15 trains to go!

Thanks Bruce

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/01/15 13:48
Author: SWChief

WOW! Amazing staging yards! The pictures show what a big difference the lighting makes.

Hey Bruce, just curious, did you use homasote? The texture I see in the pictures kind of looks like homasote, which I have used on some of my layouts.

Greg

Date: 03/01/15 13:50
Author: DKay

Good stuff there Bruce,it sure made a difference.That is some extensive staging you have there.I remember Tony Koester saying in one of his trains of thought many years ago...""if you think you need 12 staging tracks,build 24"".Sounds like good advice to me.
Regards,dK

Date: 03/01/15 13:56
Author: TamaquaTim

Hi Bruce,
Beautiful RR. Are you local to the Philly area and do you allow visitors?
Thanks, TT

Date: 03/01/15 14:09
Author: boejoe

A few observations:

1) now I understand why your postings on T.O. have been scarce lately!
2) a trash train AFTER the clean-up? Hmmm...
3) I think this is the first layout I've ever seen with painted framework. First class.
4) keep those photos coming. Your railroad is always entertaining to watch - video or still photos.

Date: 03/01/15 14:10
Author: rschonfelder

That has to be the cleanest, tidiest layout room in the world! We might have to re-think your membership in the "He-man's Model Railroading Fraternity".

Rick

Date: 03/01/15 14:15
Author: 55002

Wow - your staging is bigger than my layout!! Like you, and ageing eyes, I've looked into lighting up my staging. I've discovered, post Xmas, some good bargains in the leftover xmas tree lights. I've got strings of LED xmas lights, for $1.50. Better on my layout than the tree!! Chris UK.

Date: 03/01/15 16:42
Author: cf7

How do you reach the ground throws?
cf7

Date: 03/01/15 17:38
Author: RFandPFan

Truly impressive Bruce! Thanks for posting the photos even if they make the rest of us feel inadequate!!! Really nice work.

Date: 03/01/15 18:04
Author: Newman

Hey Bruce, how large do you think your collection is?? And, how much of it is on the layout at any given time?? I ask because I am at about 300 cars and looking to top out at over 1500 and this looks about right for a layout of decent size....I have a long ways to go, but it should not be too hard, a lot of what is left it unit stuff, coal, IM, auto, grain...I would like to be able to have three to four complete individual set ups for my three deck, 12x27 foot layout based on a protolanced theme....thanks for your help...and yes, those lights made a world of difference....though I think you may end up still wishing you had put switch machines down there also....LOL....

Date: 03/01/15 19:02
Author: atsf121

The lighting does make a difference, and your layout looks first class all the way. Even my boys commented about how huge it is. Doubt I'll ever get to build one that big, so please continue to post photos so my boys and I can enjoy your layout at a distance.

Nathan

Date: 03/01/15 19:13
Author: navarch2

Absolutely super, Bruce....just super. I will remember to do that in my own staging yard, but it is nowhere near youirs in scope...beautiful design.

Bob

Date: 03/01/15 19:31
Author: Kemacprr

Bruce how many can you link together ? Also how deep are the fixtures ? ---- Ken

Date: 03/01/15 21:55
Author: jridge

Have a Lithonia Lighting part number? Didn't see on the Home Depot website.

Date: 03/01/15 23:00
Author: SteamTrainJunkie

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-4-ft-Surface-Mount-White-LED-120-Volt-Strip-Light-MNSL-M6/203409289

Normally 99.00 on sale for 74.97

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/15 23:02 by SteamTrainJunkie.

Date: 03/02/15 04:15
Author: Finderskeepers

Holy crap, $100 for 4 feet?, Bruce I hope you won the lottery to afford it. If I did my layout with this stuff, I'd be looking at a minimum of 2 grand. Nice looking layout btw.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/02/15 04:17

Hi Greg,

Yes the staging is covered in Homasote. Thanks Bruce

SWChief Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WOW! Amazing staging yards! The pictures show
> what a big difference the lighting makes.
>
> Hey Bruce, just curious, did you use homasote? The
> texture I see in the pictures kind of looks like
> homasote, which I have used on some of my
> layouts.
>
> Greg

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0674 seconds