Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Model Railroading > Lincoln, NE Model railroaders

Date: 03/01/15 20:26
Lincoln, NE Model railroaders
Author: trkspd

Anyone on here live in or near Lincoln, NE?

Are there any notable clubs, layouts or ships in the area?

I know Spring Creek is down in Deshler, I do plan to visit them and also day trip to Omaha to visit the UP museum.

I appreciate your help guys

Posted from Android

DG .
Unknown, US

Date: 03/01/15 20:47
Re: Lincoln, NE Model railroaders
Author: wpjones

Randysroundhouse.com
Steve

Date: 03/02/15 04:28
Author: iaisfan

There's a Yahoo group for Omaha/Council Bluffs area modelers at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/omaha_model_railroad/info .

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 03/02/15 05:30
Author: twjurgens

Here's another link: https://www.facebook.com/lincolnrailway

Randy's Roundhouse would have more info.

Date: 03/02/15 07:29
Author: binder001

trkspd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone on here live in or near Lincoln, NE?
>
> Are there any notable clubs, layouts or ships in
> the area?
>
> I know Spring Creek is down in Deshler, I do plan
> to visit them and also day trip to Omaha to visit
> the UP museum.
>
> I appreciate your help guys
>
> Posted from Android

I grew up in Lincoln before moving to Waverly (just outside Lincoln).

Shops; Randy's Roundhouse near 70th and Vine Streets - the current hangout for most of us. Friendly proprietor, tries real hard to get special orders handled as well as the manufacturers will let him. Books, magazines, gossip. Open late on most Thursdays. As you mentioned, Spring Creek is about 1.5 hrs away in Deshler, NE - what can you say about Spring Creek - really nice folks who carry a nice variety. Another one worth visiting is House of Trains near 81st and Maple in NW Omaha.

Layouts; yes, there are a number but most are private but can be accessed by invitation. Hanging out at Randy's will often allow you to meet the fellows.

Clubs; There is the long-standing Lincoln Railfans/NRHS group who are the railfans in the area. There is also the "Lincoln Area Railway Historical Society" who dabble in a number of projects. They used to be known as the Lincoln area Model Railroad Club and Museum. The museum part was added to get IRS 501c3 status and became the tail that wagged the dog. The presence of an ugly solar panel on top of their BNcaboose display shows how they treat artifacts. Thet took "model railroad" out of the title because they had too much embarassment when trying to apply for grants. The club has been around since 1984 and has dabbled in a number of projects. The most lasting is the annual Lincoln model train show each February. For live steamers there are groups at Camp Creek (east of Waverly) and at Goehner (a bit west of Lincoln)

Lincoln is a major junction on the BNSF and offers a number of places to see the real thing. Just obey the "No Tresspassing" areas and stay safe. Lincoln used to have service from five clas 1 railroads, now the BNSF is the big player with the UP running the occasional train down from Valley.

Gary Binder
Waverly, NE

Date: 03/02/15 08:37
Author: trkspd

Thank you, I look forward to visiting those places....that is if work gives me a chance.....which the way things are going I might not want.

Posted from Android

DG .
Unknown, US

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds