Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Model Railroading > Rattle can alternatives to Dullcote/Glosscote?

Date: 03/05/15 05:44
Rattle can alternatives to Dullcote/Glosscote?
Author: iaisfan

Has anyone ever had positive experiences with rattle can alternatives to Dullcote and Glosscote? Seems like these are some of the things I run out of most frequently. My closest LHS is a bit of a haul, and I'd probably pass about a half dozen big box home improvement stores to get there, so I thought I'd investigate other spray paint lines to see what, if anything, might be more widely available and still suitable for modeling.

Thanks for any tips.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 03/05/15 06:00
Re: Rattle can alternatives to Dullcote/Glosscote?
Author: cslemp

I use rattle can Testers Dullcote exclusively, never felt a need to use the airbrush for something so simple. It works great. For gloss I use Future, which you should be able to find at most big box stores as well.

- Chris
http://www.milepost15.com
http://www.facebook.com/milepost15

Date: 03/05/15 06:07
Author: rnb3

As far as Dullcoat goes, "big box" craft stores like Hobby Lobby and Michaels carry it(both offer 40%+ off coupons). Some Wal-Mart stores still carry it and you can order online from Wal-Mart and have it shipped to your nearest Wal-Mart store. The ACE Hardware in my town also carries it.

For me, availability is not as big of a deal as the cost...this stuff is very over priced! But I sure like the results!

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 03/05/15 06:42
Author: jburek

I always buy Testors Dullcoat & Glosscoat in bottles & mix it 50/50 with lacquer thinner then apply with an airbrush at about 20psi. Lasts much longer this way, is more economical, an more environmentally friendly than using the aerosol cans.

Date: 03/05/15 06:53
Author: santafedan

I am using Krylon Matte Finish for structures. Mostly to protect flat paints that show marks.

Date: 03/05/15 06:55
Author: grahamline

Krylon Matte 1311 is available at art supply stores and sometimes in hardware/home improvement stores. Nice spray head, large can, very flat finish.

Date: 03/05/15 07:04
Author: bnsftcdiv

Often times you can find both lacquer and acrylic spray can versions of flat, satin and gloss clear coats. Art Stores (Hobby Lobby, Michaels and if you have one Blick Art Supply) usually carry both, though you may have to search multiple places in the store to find both types. Most of the big boxes carry the lacquers, I've used Krylon and Valspar, with acceptable results. Both my Ace and Hardware Hank have them as well.

Dave Burman

Date: 03/05/15 10:31

Thank you all for your guidance. I ran to the local Ace Hardware over lunch to check on the Krylon #1311. They didn't have that, but did have Rustoleum Clear Matte, so I picked up a can. A 12oz can was $3.99, vs. 3oz for $6 the last time I bought Dullcote. I haven't tried it yet, but at 1/6 of the price, it's got a big head start on Dullcote so far.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Date: 03/05/15 11:17
Author: tomstp

Those spray cans of Testors flat seem to leave spots in their spray. So, I don't use them anymore. I use and airbrush.

Date: 03/05/15 14:19
Author: Jimmies

I tried the Krylon Matte, but I kind of thought it was a bit thicker than the Testors. Now, I just use the Testors, even though it does cost a bundle in comparison.

Jim

Date: 03/05/15 15:16
Author: tankcarsrule

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those spray cans of Testors flat seem to leave
> spots in their spray. So, I don't use them
> anymore. I use and airbrush.

I use a room dehumidifier before I spray paint of any kind, no spots.

Regards, Bobby

Posted from Android

Date: 03/05/15 15:44
Author: Santafes95

Shake these very well too or you'll have unintended weathering look!

Date: 03/05/15 18:40
Author: ghemr

Rattle-cans of Dullcote is still the best around! As stated before by Santafes95, shake thoroughly!

Date: 03/06/15 10:14
Author: Bunny218

Interesting discussion. Appreciate the comments on the Krylon but I'd like to hear from those guys (or Joe on the Rustoleum), is the finish as fine as with the Testors? I've found in the past those other brands are too thick, but as is, they may still work fine like the one guy noted on structures.

Date: 03/06/15 10:50

Krylon on Accurail HO, Krylon Oxide primer overspray on the cars, followed by a light K'lon gloss coat, then decals, then the K'lon 1311

edit: the original is a lot sharper than what turned up here. the schmutz on the left side of the 9406 is dust, not a paint flaw.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/15 11:15 by grahamline.

Date: 03/07/15 07:58

I wrote:
> Thank you all for your guidance. I ran to the local Ace Hardware over lunch to check on the Krylon #1311. They didn't have that, but did have
> Rustoleum Clear Matte, so I picked up a can. A 12oz can was $3.99, vs. 3oz for $6 the last time I bought Dullcote. I haven't tried it yet,
> but at 1/6 of the price, it's got a big head start on Dullcote so far.

I thought I'd report my findings. The Rustoleum Clear Matte didn't work out. It sprayed well, and the coat wasn't too thick, but it's more of an eggshell or satin finish, not nearly as dull as Dullcote.

I tried our local Ace, Home Depot, Menards, and Walmart for the Krylon #1311. Home Depot and Menards didn't carry ANY Krylon, and none of them had the #1311. However, I decided to try out their Krylon Cover Maxx #9148 Flat Crystal Clear. It's an acrylic, but is dead flat, sprays well, not thick at all, and dries fast. I'm doing some experimenting to see how it does between layers of the oils I use in weathering, but so far, it's doing great over the top of the first layer. It's a faded, rusty old Chessie/C&O 50' PS-1 that was used as a tool car on the IAIS, so I can't really mess it up too badly. I'll try to finish it today and report back later on my findings.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Date: 03/07/15 08:08

> However, I decided to try out their Krylon Cover Maxx #9148 Flat Crystal Clear. It's an acrylic, but is dead flat, sprays well, not
> thick at all, and dries fast.

Scratch that. That'll teach me to paint when I'm not yet fully awake. I'd been away from the workbench a while and forgot that you can't apply acrylics over oils, since the oils need to continue to "breath", and the acrylics are said to not adhere long term. So, this won't be a product I continue using, but since it's already on this model, I'll likely go ahead and finish my weathering. It might fall off next week, but this will be a static model, stuck permanently on a weed-overgrown yard track, so it won't be handled.

If I can't find the Krylon #1311 (still need to try Hobby Lobby), it looks like I'm going back to Dullcote.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/15 08:13 by iaisfan.

Date: 03/07/15 08:36

There's a Dick Blick store in Omaha at 7829 Dodge St. Don't know how that works for you. There are also several Michaels craft stores in Omaha/CB. Both stock Krylon's clear finishes. Clear matte 1311 doesn't show on Hobby Lobby's web pages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/15 08:46 by grahamline.

Date: 03/08/15 05:20

grahamline Wrote:
> Clear matte 1311 doesn't show on Hobby Lobby's web pages.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't notice that portion of your reply at first, so we tried the local Hobby Lobby. They carried Krylon, and also stocked Dullcote at $4.99 for 3oz, but didn't carry the Krylon #1311. We did, however, find it at Michaels, $7 for 11oz. I'm hoping to dig into a new weathering project this afternoon to try it out.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0821 seconds