Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Model Railroading > Shinohara Switch Advice

Date: 03/05/15 06:40
Shinohara Switch Advice
Author: speederman01

I would like to add a double track double crossover to my model railroad and have located a place with Shinohara switches in stock. My questions are: What have been your experience with their switches? I am running strictly DCC and hoping their switches work well with DCC. Secondly, they make both a code 100 and code 70 switch. Which would you recommmend? My entire mainline is code 83 but I can make either of these work for the space Saving and operational benefits. Are there any other manufacturers that make this switch that is actually available? Walthers earliest delivery estimate is July 2015. Thanks for any advice!

Dave

Date: 03/05/15 06:47
Re: Shinohara Switch Advice
Author: santafedan

I have the code 83 on my layout which is DC. With proper gaps they should work I use them as power routing turnouts. I have built DCC layouts with them and they work fine.

Date: 03/05/15 07:44
Re: Shinohara Switch Advice
Author: Frank30

I installed a Shinohara Code 100 Double Crossover many years back. They didn't come with instructions back then, and TO was not around
so you were on your own. It involves gapping the tracks in places that were not already gapped by the factory. Also, I found that you could not set all 4 turnouts for the diverging routes at the same time. So I used one machine for the two diagonal switches which comprise one route
and they worked fine. I didn't need to make any adjustments when I converted to DCC. At the time I found that AHM engine flanges were too deep
for code 70 so I have been using code 100. If code 83 were around at the time (early 80's) I would have used it. The Shinohara 70, 100 and
that which they make for Walthers in code 83 are a good product, perhaps others are as good. When my layout was started, Shinohara was
light years ahead of Atlas flex track which was brass rail held onto fibre ties with staples. Good luck with your project.
Frank30

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0306 seconds