Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Model Railroading > Needing a New Compressor for Pasche Airbrush - Recommen

Date: 03/05/15 13:21
Needing a New Compressor for Pasche Airbrush - Recommen
Author: CIND2254

My old badger compressor died on me, so now i'm in search of a new one. Im using a Pasche H series airbrush. The badger I had was tankless and that seemed to work fine, but im wondering what all of you in Trainorder land are using to power your airbrushes?

TIA,
Christian

Date: 03/05/15 13:34
Re: Needing a New Compressor for Pasche Airbrush - Reco
Author: Fizzboy7

We've sold a ton of the Paasche D500 compressors over the decades and never had any come back. I confidently recommend them.

Jason
Smith Bros Hobby Center

Date: 03/05/15 13:49
Author: pilotblue

This is a little different way to go:

I have a Dewalt compressor that I use for many things. But, I bought an air storage tank like the ones people use to refill their tires roadside. It is small and lightweight. I outfitted it with a pressure regulator, water trap and the proper fittings to mate up with my airbrush. I top it off with my Dewalt and use it as the air supply for my airbrush.

Why go to all the trouble? This set-up allows me to use my airbrush anywhere I want. Some jobs I take outside, sometimes I use it on the layout or at my workbench. The supply lasts long enough to airbrush parts of a large kit or do a LOT of weathering. It takes one minute to top it off using the Dewalt and I'm good to continue. This arrangement eliminates any "pulsing" that can happen with some smaller compressors. Although, that is not as big a problem as it used to be. The newer small compressors run at such a high rpm so that issue has pretty much disappeared.

Like I said, a different way to go. Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.

Date: 03/05/15 14:29
Author: BN7149

+1 to the setup as described by "pilotblue". I have a 6 gallon Craftsman compressor that I use in the same manner, just straight off of the compressor vs. filling an air tank. Nice and quiet and I can paint for a long time before I need to refill the tank.

I used to use a smaller Badger compressor, but got tired of the unit running every time I pressed the trigger, and the associated pulsing.

-Ryan

Date: 03/05/15 17:16
Author: imrl

I recently got an air tank/air regulator set up myself. I have a 25 gallon air compressor in the garage, but find it easier to paint in the basement. The climate is easier to control. I bought an 11 gallon air tank, air regulator/moisture trap plus some quick connect fittings at Harbor Freight for around $70. This setup is whisper quiet and will allow me to paint for a long time between refils. The other benefit is that you get a constant pressure. If you cheap out on a compressor, without a tank, you could get pulsations as the compressor pumps.

Date: 03/06/15 01:00
Author: DPKrause

I've been using an oilless Dewalt for with a regulator & vapor trap for years. I never cared for the hobby type compressors. Overpriced, uneven supply, & they tend to run hotter than a firecracker when you're spraying a big job.

Date: 03/06/15 05:44
Author: video7105

Add another vote for the portable tank and refilling it as needed, as described by PilotBlue. It lets you paint anywhere you want.

Get what you need from Harbor Freight, don't forget your 20% off coupon.

Keep your compressor in the garage and get anything you want. Picked up my old compressor off Craiglist for $30. Just had to rewire the power cord. Am not a fan of oil less compressors.

Fit it with a regulator, water trap and gauge have at it.

Dave

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/15 05:47 by video7105.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0496 seconds