Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Model Railroading > A new 3D printing technique.

Date: 03/27/15 08:02
A new 3D printing technique.
Author: SteamTrainJunkie

It is supposed to be way faster , stronger and a better finish.
http://3dprint.com/51566/carbon3d-clip-3d-printing/

Posted from Android

Date: 03/27/15 11:19
Re: A new 3D printing technique.
Author: lizzard_45

Whoa. That's amazing. I wonder how many HO scale cars you could print with that....

Paul Liddiard
Spanish Fork, UT

Date: 03/27/15 12:16
Author: funnelfan

If that technology lives up to the promises, the whole world of miniatures will have just changed! Something along the lines of the Star Trek Replicator keeps inching closer to reality! Think about it, even the most niche market/obscure model will be commercially viable. I can even see where 3D painting machines are just around the corner, and capable of the finest of lettering that is completely legible (damn, need to patent that idea now!).

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 03/27/15 12:32
Author: wabash2800

Yes, but you'll still need someone to draw things up... The printer is only as good as its input.

Date: 03/27/15 13:50
Author: fbe

I believe Ted is able to provide top quality input right now.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 03/27/15 14:23
Author: wabash2800

I wasn't directing that at Ted. I was just speaking in general.

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe Ted is able to provide top quality input
> right now.
>
> Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 03/27/15 14:40
Author: ChrisCampi

3D printing will change the world. It's still in its infancy. Look ahead ten years. I often wonder if it will be for our best interests when anything can be produced in a moments notice. (Really beyond the scope of this forum)

Chris

Date: 03/27/15 15:37
Author: garr

ChrisCampi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 3D printing will change the world. It's still in
> its infancy. Look ahead ten years. I often wonder
> if it will be for our best interests when anything
> can be produced in a moments notice. (Really
> beyond the scope of this forum)
>
> Chris

Carry that thought far enough and it will do for manufacturers, both domestic and foriegn, what the internet and limited production has done to the local hobby shops.

Jay

Posted from Android

Date: 03/29/15 02:38
Author: jobrazy

• Agree with Chris!  
  • I was talking with a friend of mine who has one yesterday. This is just the beginning of the technology. 

Joel Brazy
Coatesville, PA

Date: 03/29/15 06:00
Author: fbe

I was at Fry's in Sacramento, CA last week where they have 4 models in stock. Prices range from $600 to $2300 and they also had an impressive stock of plastic string to feed the machines.

Unfortunately, they did not have any display samples of printer output to get any idea of final textures and detail.

I note Dremel has a $999 model announced.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/15 17:00 by fbe.

Date: 03/29/15 06:33
Author: OHCR1551

These are from a very basic DaVinci 1, printed in a single color and assembled. The window frames on the house are painted. The house, passenger platform, stepping stones, barrel and pallets all came from Thingiverse uploads. I agree that we're just getting started. This printer was my Christmas present, because I knew we all needed to learn how to run one.in a few years, we'll look back at it and smile, the way we say "Remember when?" when we pick up old printouts from our first nine-pin printer that couldn't handle true descenders and needed fanfold paper. The possibilities are so huge that it's hard to imagine. If you're good with wiring and electronics in general, most of the parts to make your own printer are on Thingiverse as well. Someone has designed a suitcase printer that unfolds, parts cost less than $200. Pas they said in History of the World Part 1: "What a world, what a world!"

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds