Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Model Railroading > laying/securing n-scale flex track

Date: 03/27/15 16:54
laying/securing n-scale flex track
Author: goneon66

I am going to lay some n-scale flex track on my layout.  it has been a LONG time since I have used flex track and have a few questions:

what does anybody suggest to use as a sub-roadbed (cork?)? 

what is the best way to secure the flex track to the sub-roadbed underneath?  I have used small track nails  before (that were a pain) but I thought I heard that people have also used some type of liquid nails.

any other track laying tips or info would be appreciated.  thanks.........

Date: 03/27/15 17:10
Re: laying/securing n-scale flex track
Author: northridgeswitcher

I use a product call InstaJet (Blue Label). 

A few drops, hold for about 10 seconds, move on to the next spot.  I am securing it to cork (sheet cork) but I am sure the same would work with roadbed cork.

If you need to move, take it up or make a changes a sharp hobby knife and its up.   If you get carried away and some of the cork sticks to the track a emery board or dermal tool makes short work of that issue.   Yes you can damage the cork so the blade has to be kept close to the track as possible or you will end up having to repair or replace cork.

A big advantage of this is that you are not constantly having to check alignment after every nail.  Also the product dries clear (for the most part).

Two last comments, InstaJet makes 3 products - the Blue Label is the medium set and gets you the best of both worlds, enough time to make a change but not having to hold in place for a long time to make sure it's set.

The product does have a "Shelf" life of about 9 to 12 months.  After that it will start to discolor and at the point (from experience) you need to trash it and get fresh.

Hope this helps.

Northridge Switcher

Date: 03/27/15 22:07
Author: up833

GOO--- in the small tube. One small line down the center line on the layout and put the track down into that and hold briefly.  If you ever need to move the track..without ballast..run the razor saw under the ties. If the track joints are on a curve use a few track nails or pins on the outside rails to hold in place until soldered.  If you are laying track to foam you will need some water based glue such as latax caulk or tub surround adhesive. I also use GOO to lay the cork...one small line for each side of the roadbed strip.  If you use sheet cork in railyards its more economical to get a quart can of contact cement you would use for laminate work...water or solvent based.
You can also find contact cement in small bottles with a brush under the cap..most hardware stores.
Roger Beckett

Date: 03/31/15 04:54
Author: centracal104

I use just white glue. Best part about it is if you get it wrong you only need to moisten it to adjust the track. I typically use push pins to hold in place until the glue dries. Really does not take a lot of glue to adhere it down.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0327 seconds