Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Model Railroading > TOFC hitches

Date: 04/16/15 09:39
TOFC hitches
Author: oldSALrailfan

I'm in the process of sorting out the many TOFC type flat cars I have in storage. Quite a few need the trailer hitch replaced. I have checked out Details West for replacement kits. Are there any others out there, and advice on which brand may be more desirable than others. Thanks for your help!
Matt
Chattanooga, Tn.

Date: 04/16/15 10:44
Re: TOFC hitches
Author: Bleman

If you have some old walthers 54 GSC flats around those kits have some reasonable hitches in them..

Date: 04/16/15 13:20
Author: funnelfan

You can order the accurail hitches sperately on thier parts page.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 04/17/15 03:08
Author: MrMRL

You wanna go all out?? Colapsable, all metal MLE Scale Models hitch kits are an option.

http://www.mlescalemodels.com/about.html

Mr. MRL

Date: 04/17/15 04:23

Thanks for the info guys. I hadn't got to Accurail yet, and those MLE hitches are a "10.5" NICE. 
Have a great weekend,
Matt

Date: 04/17/15 19:28
Author: 70ACE

If you plan on running permanent TOFC then use the Accurail PSC type hitches. they are reasonably priced and look good. The only down side is the hitch plate is easily broken from atop the pedestal.  If you want to run both TOFC and COFC, then use those modern hitches that come with Walthers 54' GSC flat cars.  They are very sturdy, well designed, and the pedestal/hitch plate assy does not need gluing to the base plate. Thus you can remove the pedestal and hitch plate from off the glued down base to run your car with containers.  Over the years from installing many of those Walthers hitches I've found that you can remove the locater pins off the base plate for easier installation. 

Date: 04/21/15 04:28

Thanks guys!  I'm working the SAL pre-merger period (before SCL). I've recieved great information here, and will pursue these suggestions.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0266 seconds