Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Model Railroading > How many vehicles on your layout?

Date: 04/16/15 15:53
How many vehicles on your layout?
Author: PLERR

Kind of a random statistical question here with no right or wrong answer. A fellow (N scale) model railroader and I were discussing the number of vehicles we owned. He's a "trains across the landcape" kind of guy, and so has only a few small industries, no towns, and very few vehicles. I'm an "urban/city transfer" kind of guy (plus I'm really into trucks), so I have trucks and tractor-trailers out the wazoo (and if you've ever had a tractor-trailer out the wazoo . . . well, never mind). Anyway, you could say, with reagrds to vehicles, that we anchor each end of the spectrum. It caused us to ponder how many vehicles would be found on the "average" (what ever that is) layout.

Has anyone bothered to count how many vehicles they own? What do you think the average number per layout might be?

One more question I just thought of as I was typing. Does anyone have any funny or famous vehicles? I just picked up the Oxford Diecast Ford Anglia (from Harry Potter) and Herbie. They're UK N scale, so 1:148, but they were too neat to pass up.

Thanks!

Date: 04/16/15 16:05
Re: How many vehicles on your layout?
Author: RFandPFan

I don't think there is an "average" number on a layout.  The reason you touched upon in your post.  It has a lot to do with what type of layout you have.  The more industries, especially ones with loading docks, the more likely you will have a higher number of trucks parked at those facilities.

Date: 04/16/15 16:56
Author: wjpyper

56 on my 3-rail O-gauge.

Date: 04/16/15 17:06
Author: santafedan

Just enough.

Date: 04/16/15 17:19
Author: WP282

Well, I'm a vehicle junkie, so when the Reel Rides, Fresh Cherries, etc. vehicles came out and were selling for cheap at Walmart, I bought cases of 'em. Most are still in the box. I model the late 1960's through early 1980's on a large double deck layout set in the Willamette Valley and Oregon Cascades. That means pick-ups, log trucks, tractor trailers. I also have a good number of auto racks with the intention of filling them up. I've never counted, but I'd put it consevatively at several hundred.

Mike

Date: 04/16/15 17:48
Author: funnelfan

I don't have a real layout, but I've been collecting for one if I ever get that far. I could easily fill a club sized layout as it stands. I bought dozens and dozens of those cheap HO vehicles back with Wal-mart stocked the Fresh Cherries, Real Rides, Malibu and the Cat tractors and trucks. I also have a lot of other vehicles from Trident, Roco, Busch, Herpa, Athearn and more. Even got several of those MiniExacts from the 80's. Wish someone would re-release those painted up. I'm always scouring E-bay for HO or near HO cars, and have found several from unusual sources. Those include those Furuta Choco-Egg car kits that were awesome for some older and newer Japanese imports. Scale varied, but most were close to HO scale. Also found some European Fords were replicas of US compacts.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/15 17:54 by funnelfan.

Date: 04/16/15 19:33
Author: icancmp193

I am a hobby dealer who specializes in vehicles, so naturally I can't resist a few for myself. When the layout gets going, we may end up with 40-50.
Locomotives are my trouble spot. I want them all!

Tom Y

Date: 04/17/15 06:52
Author: ntharalson

Not how many but how many from the era you model, that's the question.  1965 to 1990 is really tough!

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 04/17/15 07:21
Author: penncentral74

I wish I could find a reasonable facsimilie of 1974 Camaros, Firebirds and/or TransAms.  With a couple dozen auto racks and being in Cincinnati where the GM plant in Norwood OH made these cars, it would be nice to fill several without it costing 400-500$ per car!

Date: 04/17/15 13:14
Author: Mopac3240

I like trucks too! Haven't counted them. Here are a few of them on our Gulf Western Modular layout. Sorry for the poor picture quality.
Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/15 13:16 by Mopac3240.

Date: 04/17/15 19:32
Author: icancmp193

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not how many but how many from the era you model,
> that's the question.  1965 to 1990 is really
> tough!
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA

You are correct! Plenty of vintage, plenty of very modern, not much in between (in HO). I am doing early 70's.

Tom Y

Date: 04/18/15 04:33
Author: Lighter

> You are correct! Plenty of vintage, plenty of very
> modern, not much in between (in HO). I am doing
> early 70's.

August 1984 here.  I have a great auto club street show.  But, actual "set the scene" cars and trucks are a lot more difficult.  Especially common GM, Ford, Chrysler cars from the early eighties and late seventies.  I have quite enough foreign cars for a Midwest location.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds