Home Open Account Help 220 users online

Model Railroading > Question New Walthers Passsenger Cars

Date: 04/17/15 22:05
Question New Walthers Passsenger Cars
Author: train544

Hi Guys
How do you get the roof off of the new Walthers passenger cars such as 910-30050  85ft Budd Baggage-Lounge car as there were no instructions with the car
Thanks in advance
Tom Boylan

Date: 04/18/15 04:23
Re: Question New Walthers Passsenger Cars
Author: BNModeler

Use a chisel blade and try to work it between the roof and car body and gently pry up on a corner and then look for the tabs.
Probably like the standard car line.

Date: 04/18/15 04:48
Re: Question New Walthers Passenger Cars
Author: Lighter

Unfortunately we can't post ytube links.  So, do a search using "turley twist" as your term.  At the top of the list will be a video with Keith Turley showing how to open a Walthers car without leaving pry marks on the exterior.  AND he shows how to fix the tab damage you'll likely do even with the twist.  I have done this exactly once using a coach.  Just to see if it worked.  It worked fine.  No tab damage for me.

Date: 04/18/15 08:18
Author: train544

Hi Guys
Thanks for the info
Tom Boylan

Date: 04/18/15 08:32
Author: pullmanboss

This has been discussed at some length on the Yahoo Passenger Car List group. I don't have any of the new Walthers passenger cars, but subscribers who do report that they are not constructed the same way as their regular line. The windows are molded as part of the roof, like the old Rivarossi models, and sit behind the car sides rather than being inset into the window frames. So far no one has been successful in removing the roof without severely damaging the car. The Turley Twist, according to reports, doesn't work. All this is curious because Big W offers a lighting upgrade which requires that the roof be removed to install it. If anyone here has been successful in disassembling one of these new Walthers Budd cars, a lot of folks would like to know your trick.

Tom M.

Date: 04/18/15 11:37
Author: Lighter

> of the new Walthers passenger cars, but
> subscribers who do report that they are not
> constructed the same way as their regular line.

Thanks for that caution.  I did an older car and would likely have attacked a new car without checking.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0833 seconds