Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Model Railroading > IAIS's West End - Indian Creek

Date: 04/18/15 09:51
IAIS's West End - Indian Creek
Author: iaisfan

This morning I made enough progress on the Indian Creek scene to call it mostly done, for now.  I still have to add another layer of Mod Podge for the water and then seal that today.  I also need to locate more Micro Engineering girders to finish the three remaining bridges I plan to build here, but their construction will have to wait until after the OS Omaha ops weekend next month.  Anyway, given the gap in the plywood that's been greeting me here for far too long, I figured this was enough of an improvement to warrant new photos.

Photo 1 - Here's a Bing image of the prototype Indian Creek scene from http://binged.it/1JCcK5q showing an Iowa Interstate transfer job to the UP waiting on a UP double-stack train.  Indian Creek was directed into this concrete channel starting in 1938 as a means of controlling flooding.

2 - A bird's eye view of the new scene.

3 - Looking south down the channel.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 04/18/15 09:53
Re: IAIS's West End - Indian Creek

Photo 4 - Looking southwest.  UP apparently has a weight restriction on their 12th St. line's crossing of the creek in the foreground, but I plan to address that soon.wink  Beyond the IAIS's bridge in the background is the now-unused structure that originally supported the Rock Island's EB main.

5 - Finally, an overall view of the area.  To the right of Indian Creek is the site of an abandoned concrete plant I plan to model at some point.  To the left will be a larger Ready Mixed concrete plant.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Date: 04/18/15 10:18
Author: trkspd

Your modeling is amazing. Every thread your skills amaze me more and more.

Keep it up

Posted from Android

DG .
Unknown, US

Date: 04/18/15 11:47
Author: tankcarsrule

Joe, it gets better and better! Great looking layout!

Regards, Bobby

Date: 04/18/15 12:12
Author: wabash2800

Very good. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 04/18/15 13:07
Author: funnelfan

Awesome! Are you going to use the UP track for interchange, or is it just there for looks?

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 04/18/15 13:54

Thank you very much gentlemen.

Ted wrote:
> Are you going to use the UP track for interchange, or is it just there for looks?

That connector between the IAIS main and UP's 12th St. line is just for trains to get between the latter and UP's Pool Yard, just to the west.  IAIS/UP interchange takes place at Pool Yard itself.  Here's a view looking east from the yard toward Indian Creek. If it helps to make sense of it all, my layout plan's at the link in my signature.

By the way, the swing gate in the photo is the main layout entrance, which is why it was so important to me to get this scene done before OS Omaha.  Before this week, there was just a big ugly gap in the plywood there - not a very welcoming sight for visitors.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/15 14:01 by iaisfan.

Date: 04/18/15 20:55
Author: atsf121

It's like when I see my neighbor doing yard work and I tell him I have some work for him - I have a layout in need of your skills.  Your work is outstanding, can't wait to see more

Nathan

Date: 04/18/15 22:35

Very kind of you Nathan!  There's nothing here that couldn't be done by anyone, though.  This is the first layout I've gotten much beyond the bare benchwork stage, so everything I've done has just been a matter of following the lead of others.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Date: 04/19/15 11:08
Author: penncentral74

Interesting use of Shoe Moulding for the culvert!  Nice work!

Date: 04/19/15 13:05
Author: Waybiller

Both very nice realism as well as good use of selective compression.  Great modelling.

Date: 04/19/15 14:15

penncentral74 wrote:
Interesting use of Shoe Moulding for the culvert!  Nice work!

​Thank you sir!  Good eyes!  I couldn't find anything larger than 3/4" in wood, so I went with a 1" PVC variant.  I sealed the gaps between it and the styrene with adhesive caulk.

Waybiller Wrote:
> Both very nice realism as well as good use of selective compression.  Great modelling.

Very kind of you.  There's always so much we have to leave out, and I'm never sure if I've chosen wisely.  I really appreciate your feedback!

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0981 seconds