Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Model Railroading > Chemistry question about making scrap shavings

Date: 04/18/15 19:27
Chemistry question about making scrap shavings
Author: inCHI

I've got semi-finished gondolas that await a scrap load, but I got stuck a while back trying to figure out how to make it. I prefer to use actual metal shavings or material and have them actually rust.

I just came across a post elsewhere where the modeler used "PCB etchtant solution" (contains ferric chloride) from Radioshack and dipped metal shavings in it for real rust. I've actually got access to a vat of ferric chloride - the acid bath of an etching setup at a printmaking studio. (For those unfamiliar, a fine art printmaking process where copper plates are dipped in the acid to etch lines into them.) I believe the solution there is 2 parts FeCl3 to 2 parts water.

Theoretically, that should work just as well if not better to rust the metal as the radioshack product - right?

I'm curious if anyone has ever tried this method before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/15 19:33 by inCHI.

Date: 04/18/15 20:28
Re: Chemistry question about making scrap shavings
Author: trainupaboy

After you glue them in the car, spray them with a strong salt solution and place them out in the sun for about 6 hours.

Date: 04/19/15 06:16
Author: tankcarsrule

trainupaboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After you glue them in the car, spray them with a
> strong salt solution and place them out in the sun
> for about 6 hours.

If you leave them in the sun for 6 hours, the sun will warp the cars, true?

Regards, Bobby

Date: 04/19/15 06:21
Author: 55002

In the early days, I owned cars that were true rust buckets. Used the real thing off the wings for rusty loads. Laterly I have used rusty metal flakes from work (a power plant) for great loads.  Try looking out for a local scrap yard and offer to sweep the floor!! You can't beat the real thing. I've also got some silvery metal lumps (random shapes) about peanut size - from a garden centre. It is used to layer on house plant flower pots. Looks good. Chris uk

Date: 04/19/15 11:02
Author: penncentral74

Try the Sophisticated Finishes rust compound.  You brush on their 'slurry' product which is iron filings in a brushable vehicle, then you let that dry.

You then over brush that with their 'etchant', which is probably ferric chloride also.

The finish is genuine rust.  It's good for hopper car and gondola interiors, but you need to try a few samples because if you put the slurry on too thick, the end result is a thick rust pattern.

Date: 04/19/15 12:32
Author: trainupaboy

tankcarsrule Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> trainupaboy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > After you glue them in the car, spray them with
> a
> > strong salt solution and place them out in the
> sun
> > for about 6 hours.
>
> If you leave them in the sun for 6 hours, the sun
> will warp the cars, true?
>
> Regards, Bobby

I have done it 20 times and it has'nt yet!  :-)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0474 seconds