Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Model Railroading > First Time Atlas Boo-Boo

Date: 04/19/15 12:54
First Time Atlas Boo-Boo
Author: icancmp193

I have been selling Atlas locomotive for over 25 years. Today, I opened up a brand-new Trainman Alco RS-32 and put it on the test track. I fired it up hoping for that smooth-running Atlas drive, since this loco was going to be for personal use. Well, the lights worked bi-directionally, but it did not run at all. So I guess it is going back to Atlas for "warranty work".

Tom Y

Date: 04/19/15 13:15
Re: First Time Atlas Boo-Boo
Author: RFandPFan

Just for the heck of it, try cleaning the wheels.  I've had Atlas DCC engines that wouldn't accept commands and found they had some oil on the wheels from the factory.  I cleaned them and they worked fine.  Worth a try.

Date: 04/19/15 14:09
Author: SD45X

Two of my Bowser C636s did that. I mumbled profanity and walked off. Two days later I tried for grins and giggles and it worked. Both were DCC sound. I was running them on DC.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/19/15 14:24
Author: icancmp193

After further review.....

The black motor lead was not connected and the plastic retaining clip had come off. Once that was hooked up, she ran like a (Chinese) Swiss watch!
Thanks for your various suggestions!

Tom Y

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/15 14:24 by icancmp193.

Date: 04/20/15 05:45
Author: penncentral74

That same thing happened to me with an out-of-the-box Walthers GP30.  Wouldn't run more than a few inches before stopping.

Took the shell off, the plastic push-on's fell off at first touch.  Soldered everything and it runs fine.

Date: 04/20/15 06:00
Author: RFandPFan

icancmp193 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After further review.....
>
> The black motor lead was not connected and the
> plastic retaining clip had come off. Once that was
> hooked up, she ran like a (Chinese) Swiss watch!
> Thanks for your various suggestions!
>
> Tom Y

Glad to hear you solved the problem.  I've had really good luck with Atlas products, but I'm sure stuff happens from time to time for everyone.

Date: 04/20/15 06:51
Author: rschonfelder

I had a problem with my Genesis DDA40X's.  i bought three from the first run.  They were DC so I sprung for the decoders and while running them, i couldn't understand why one would drop out and the loco would be literally dragging its' other half around.  I finally went inside and found that some of those press plastic contact connectors were for larger contacts than were required for those boards.  The wires were therefore not making reliable wire contact.  I pulled out the soldering iron and soldered every connection and found no problem thereafter. 

If in doubt, go inside as the people at the factory are not infallible.  Most of us should be able to figure out and fix what is wrong rather than send it back.

Rick

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds