Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Model Railroading > DCC Optimal Performance

Date: 04/20/15 09:56
DCC Optimal Performance
Author: speederman01

Hi.   I have a couple of questions regarding DCC locomotives.   First let me explain my situation.  I have been collecting HO scale equipment for about 30 years and until recently, intermittently I had a layout to operate on. I have also had an NCE DCC system for about the past 12 years but most of my experience was installing decoders in my locomotives, not actually operating a layout.  Now I have my layout track work completed and am able to operate trains! My questions are: 1.  After installing a decoder, do you have a list of adjustments that you always make to ensure optimal performance from your locomotives?  2.  If so, what CV's do you always change and what values do you use?  3. Do you use different values depending on the locomotive manufacturer or if the loco is sound equipped?   Thanks for any input!

Dave

Date: 04/20/15 15:38
Re: DCC Optimal Performance
Author: rschonfelder

Given the circumstance you've described, just about everyone on here will recommend downloading JMRI (Java Model Railroad Interface) free software.  This will help you with any initial setup and any subsequent fine tuning of speed settings.

You will need a computer, preferably a laptop so you can take it to your bench, and also an interface connector. 

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/15 15:40 by rschonfelder.

Date: 04/24/15 09:30
Re: DCC Optimal Performance
Author: RGDave

A lot of it is personal preference.  

First, different manufacturers allow different CV's to represent different things.  In general, though, each locomotive has its address changed to match the cab number, and I adjust the motor power settings and start voltages to speed match with other engines.  I will also add the light effects I want per the prototype.

Sounds are a whole other world - certainly the easiest way to learn and manage this is via JMRI as mentioned above.  DecoderPro, which comes with JMRI, is clutch!

~RGDave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds