Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Model Railroading > Modern UP Switch and Local Power

Date: 04/20/15 17:35
Modern UP Switch and Local Power
Author: imrl

Recently, I've decided to refocus my era and prototype to be the I&M Raillink for around 2001. I have since completed about 15 models for that. However, I have several projects from my modern day UP switching layout that just never got finished. Well, I finally took the time to get 3 of those projects done. 

For modern day UP switch and local power, you can't go wrong with the ubiquitous GP38-2. They come in all different variants. For 2 of them, I started with a pair of Atlas Master series GP38's. I strive for basic details but excellent runners. These, while not 100% accurate, fit the bill fairly well. One was fully painted and lettered, the other was no number and no lettering. I wanted to model locomotives I've seen in Topeka, and better still, locomotives I've operated. I settled on UP790 and GMTX2169.

The 790 needed a change of air filter type, from square to tapered. I also added mu hoses, snow plow, AC unit, air horn and a PTC antenna array. The array came from the eBay seller, with the front portion cut off. I patched the original numbers, added yellow sill stripes and finished off with some weathering. 

The 2169 got an AC unit, air horn, MU hoses and a firecracker antenna. I don't believe the 2169 has been equipped with PTC yet, but that will be an easy modification when the unit does get PTC. I cut a strip of yellow trim film to simulate the big patch on the long hood and finished with some block lettering decals and weathering. 

The third project that I started a year ago, was one of the maroon HLCX lease units. I decided on the HLCX1061, which started life as Katy GP40. I started this one with an Atlas Master series GP40, chopped the DB hatch down to fit a tapered air filter box, added a snow plow, MU hoses, AC, air horn and a PTC antenna array. The entire model got painted maroon and black and decals from Hiball Graphics finished it off. I decided to not weather this one as the prototype is still very clean. At least it was the last time I saw it. 

All 3 models still need ditch lights, but for now, they fill the bill on my still functional modern UP switching layout. 

Date: 04/20/15 19:32
Re: Modern UP Switch and Local Power
Author: icancmp193

How did WW Murphy's post end up on yours?

Tom Y

Date: 04/20/15 19:34
Author: bnsfsd70

Having seen these models in person a few hours ago, they look great!  

Greg, make sure to show off the faded lettering on the 790!

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 04/20/15 20:12
Author: wabash2800

Ghosty Gremlens!  ohwoo woo!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/15 20:12 by wabash2800.

Date: 04/20/15 21:00
Author: ChrisCampi

I've had this happen too. Photo monsters at work. I think Todd needs to look into this issue. Different third photo twice on this post now for me. Cool post. I'd like to see more!

Chris

Date: 04/21/15 07:52

I have no idea how that happened. I saw WWM's thread but I didn't download the picture. It was the right picture when I originally created the thread. I wonder if it has something in how the picture files are named. I took my pictures with an iPhone 5S and then posted them with an iPad Mini. I wonder if the files somehow ended up with the same file name and the server mixed them up. Hell, I tried to edit my post and add the correct picture, it still showed WWM's picture. Weird. 

Date: 04/21/15 08:55
Author: tomstp

On my computer your overhead shot appears in three different threads including yours.

Date: 04/21/15 11:00

I sent it a query to the powers that be. It looks like this isn't an isolated incident. Now, my third picture is on WWM's thread above mine. 

Date: 04/21/15 13:55
Author: neilgross

Nice models of often overlooked locomotives.  How did you do the door seal on the 790?

Date: 04/21/15 14:45

neilgross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice models of often overlooked locomotives.  How
> did you do the door seal on the 790?

Thanks!  The door was done by dipping a toothpick in white paint and tracing the door frame. Came out pretty well!  

Date: 04/21/15 17:29
Author: ChrisCampi

imrl Wrote:
> I have no idea how that happened. I saw WWM's
> thread but I didn't download the picture. It was
> the right picture when I originally created the
> thread. I wonder if it has something in how the
> picture files are named. I took my pictures with
> an iPhone 5S and then posted them with an iPad
> Mini. I wonder if the files somehow ended up with
> the same file name and the server mixed them up.
> Hell, I tried to edit my post and add the correct
> picture, it still showed WWM's picture. Weird. 

interesting. I posted mine with an Ipad mini also.

Chris

Date: 04/21/15 20:56

ChrisCampi Wrote:
> interesting. I posted mine with an Ipad mini
> also.
>
> Chris

I'm betting that something between the server and iOS/Safari isn't playing nice. I've had zero problems posting from the desktop. It always is when I'm posting from my iPad Mini (I don't use my iPhone for posting. Too much trouble). I sent a query to the website with a promise of a reply within six hours and I haven't heard anything yet. The deadline is long past, too. A quick reply even just stating that the problem is known and they are working on a solution would have been nice. 

By by the way, my third picture keeps disappearing. The file is there but no image appears now. I've tried multiple times to fix it with no luck. It also seems to happen to me only when the file name is "image 20". 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0641 seconds