Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Model Railroading > Rivarossi-AHM-Clear Plastic, Combined Roof and Window Insert

Date: 04/20/15 20:26
Rivarossi-AHM-Clear Plastic, Combined Roof and Window Insert
Author: wabash2800

My RPO car's roof is painted a hideous silver (later era Wabash passenger cars). I have been soaking it in Scale Coat's paint remover and so far the silver paint is not budging.I got the blue paint off the car body with no problem. (That blue is too light for the Wabash era I model.)  I know I can just paint my black over it but am wondering if it will come off at all. I suppose I could leave it soaking overnight if it indeed will come off.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edit: I scratched the surface to see if it was clear like the rest of the assembly, but I get black underneath. Apparently, whatever Rivarossi used to paint the silver, it's not coming off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/15 20:58 by wabash2800.

Date: 04/21/15 00:53
Re: Rivarossi-AHM-Clear Plastic, Combined Roof and Window Insert
Author: alaska

Just paint over the roof after masking from the clear window area.
Paint was probably baked on all the roofs (black) on all its pass cars regardles of the color/rr scheme.
It is also possible that the roofs wre made of black plastic(ever see a Rivarossi pass car that did not have a black roof.
However, my set of N&W pass cars came with brown roofs and one I will paint over them with protype black.

That is why the paint was easily removed from the sides.
I have many of these cars and I have only painted over the roofs with weathering black.

Hal

Date: 04/21/15 04:31
Author: CPR_4000

The paint on these cars is rather thin, so another coat or two of black should look OK.

Date: 04/21/15 16:26
Author: wabash2800

Yes, plan B was to paint over the silver, which is what I'm gong to do. Thanks all, I never had paint not come off plastic like that before.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0359 seconds