Home Open Account Help 396 users online

Model Railroading > Twins of a different Mother

Date: 04/21/15 19:14
Twins of a different Mother
Author: SPED

I am finishing up the two Southern Pacific AM-2 engines, one is for a friend and the other for myself. Number 3902 is a Balboa and painted in pre-war scheme (SOUTHERN PACIFIC LINES in Aluminum bronze), the #3903 is a Westside post-war scheme (SOUTHERN PACIFIC in Lettering Grey)
Number 3903 has a Non Sound Tsunami decoder, the 3902 will not have DCC because my friend does not run, only displays engines.

Date: 04/21/15 19:27
Re: Twins of a different Mother

They are both beautiful engines but the Westside is a more refined model. The cab is removable and easy to install glass and figures. It also has all the junk (detail) under the tender and a different valve gear that I have not seen before. There is an additional horizontal bar that goes into the cylinder for valve action.

Ed

Date: 04/21/15 19:37
Author: CPR_4000

What are those white things on the cab fronts? Swamp coolers?

Date: 04/21/15 20:30
Author: Frisco1522

You do excellent work!

Date: 04/21/15 20:42
Author: markloos

Hey, Ed.  Beautiful work as usual.  Your attention to detail is mind-boggling!   Looking forward to the Henderson Cajon meet on the 13th - are you going to bring anything for us to drool over?    Mark  <><

Date: 04/21/15 20:54
Author: PHall

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What are those white things on the cab fronts?
> Swamp coolers?

Ice filled water coolers.

Date: 04/22/15 02:28
Author: funnelfan

Great looking models. Unfortunately those classes of cab-forwards didn't last very long after the end of WWII.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 04/22/15 08:41
Author: superchief73

Oh my oh my!!!

Javier Cervantes
Castle Rock , CO

Date: 04/22/15 12:56
Author: csxfla

These are definitely a couple of beautiful models and I hope you have many years of trouble free railroading ahead. Thx for sharing. Tracey...

Date: 04/22/15 17:11

On many of my "vintage brass" models I like to clean and polish all the brass screws. After painting and sealing I assemble, using these screws. I also have a large supply of NWSL machine screws, sometimes I replace all the screws with new product, it really brings the build level up to modern standards. ( I hate the slotted screws, the NWSL screws are Phillips head.)
This is #3902 the Balboa, I used the NWSL Phillips head screws on the Westside #3903.

Ed

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/15 18:00 by SPED.

Date: 04/22/15 18:49

I hope I am not boring you but I wanted to share some of the details of these two outstanding engines. The first picture shows the Balboa, having the boiler showing without some of the jacket on the belly. The second picture is the Westside with the jacket covering the boiler. The third picture is the extra guide above the Crosshead that goes into the upper cylinder on the Westside only. I've not seen this modeled on brass engines before, not to say it's never been done.

Date: 04/22/15 20:01
Author: atsf121

Those look amazing, don't see models or pictures of those beasts very often. 

Nathan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.6671 seconds