Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Model Railroading > The $3495 Big Boy

Date: 04/22/15 19:12
The $3495 Big Boy
Author: JLW2K

I noticed that Glacier Park Models is producing a highly detailed brass big boy with accent lighting, dual mode ESU decoder and more.  Do you think they will sell out?  Any buyers here?  Are costs too high or just right?

http://brasstrains.com/NewBrass/Trains/Projects/783/HO-Scale-Union-Pacific-Big-Boy-4-8-8-4

James 
 Omaha, NE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/15 19:30 by JLW2K.

Date: 04/22/15 19:30
Re: The $3495 Big Boy
Author: SPED

Absolutly, it will be a sellout. They even have "6 months to pay" offers, how could you pass on an engine like this from Glacier Park. It will be the best Big Boy ever!

Ed

Date: 04/22/15 19:44
Author: MILW-E78

James,
Will they sell out? Yes, as they will only produce the exact number of models reserved. With all brass models these days, make your firm reservation with a dealer. Then start saving while the true craftsman/craftswomen hand build each model. These models will be a true work of art. Don't wait to make your reservation.
The price seems to be in line with what Boo Rim has been producing lately. Many of us Milwaukee Road Electric modelers are waiting for the Precision Scale EF-5 Boxcab run. Take a look at those on the Brass Trains website. Very limited production, and not cheap.
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/15 20:13 by MILW-E78.

Date: 04/22/15 20:10
Author: JLW2K

I would honestly consider it if delivery was mid next year.  But I've been rennovating my 14 year old home's kitchen, living room and bathrooms meanwhile dropping tens of thousands of dollars that can't be dedicated to model trains.

I'm not sure if the price point is correct because I haven't seen many brass steam locos released in the last few years.  But based on the features plus the fact that it's brass I would consider the 4014 excursion version.

-James

Date: 04/22/15 20:23
Author: MILW-E78

It is normal to take about a year after an official announcement is made by the importer, so next summer may be just about right.
They have to share production space with other importers, and that can take time. Boo Rim is building for many these days, Division Point, Precision Scale, The Coach Yard, GPM, ect.
john

Date: 04/22/15 20:57
Author: Frisco1522

You can bet if GPM is doing it, it will be perfect.  Mr. Booth wouldn't have it any other way and it will be an eye popper!
Brass prices are way up there any more, but Boo-Rim is that standard to follow in HO.   I would imagine Kohs is right up there in O.

Date: 04/22/15 21:47
Author: BAB

Am not a buyer but have been around model trains for fifty years, given everything they are a very good buy even if I cannot aford one. All things considered, quality and detail for two as forty years ago when PFM was around eveyone thought what the did was great. Didnt run too well and was ok on detail. But now they are so close to exact the older units are stand off scale compaired and also run good to boot. Used to be if one wanted a good running brass engine it cost about hafl of what the list price was to have someone fix all the problems with it and then if unpainted do that too.

Date: 04/23/15 12:11
Author: brfriedm

I am sure these will be awesome engines. But the irony when you buy this type of brass is the majority of these Big Boy's will never turn a wheel except on a test track and many more will never be unwrapped and leave the box.

Anyways, to those who buy them, enjoy.

Bruce

Date: 04/24/15 07:32
Author: navarch2

Well, the shipping is free :)

If I were a steam era modeler I'd sure pay the price they are asking AFTER I see an extensive photo shoot of the locomotive pre-production model. People tell me these folks are pretty reliable, so why not pay it?  It is a handcrafted model.

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0537 seconds