Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Model Railroading > Atlas RS32/36 - Improved handrails?

Date: 05/21/15 00:45
Atlas RS32/36 - Improved handrails?
Author: iaisfan

I'm building IAIS RS36 900 and planning to use the Cal-Scale detailing kit for the grabs and such.  Can anyone recommend the best way to go about getting thinner handrails?  Does Atlas offer thin replacement handrails now that can be purchased separately, the way I think they did with their Genset model ?  Or is the answer to bend my own and drill out the Atlas stanchions to accept them?

Any guidance would be appreciated very much.  Thank you!

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 05/21/15 05:06
Re: Atlas RS32/36 - Improved handrails?
Author: jburek

I know Smokey Valley made handrail sets for several locomotive types in the past.  I used their RS11 sets to do a couple of low nose RS11's that a friend kit bashed for me.  This was Smoke Valley Kit # 45 for the RS11 - RSD12.  It would fit the RS32-36 model.  I don't know if they are still available, but my LHS was able to get me a couple of sets a few years ago.  You might still be able to find them.  I had to modify the pilot handrails to get them to look like the prototype models I was working on(LV # 400 & 401), but they are nice kits with thin wire for the handrails -once finished, it really improved the look of the models.  I think Smokey Valley has a website & if still active you should check it out - good luck.
Jeff

Date: 05/21/15 06:02

Thank you Jeff.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Date: 05/21/15 06:17
Author: RGDave

I agree - I'd start with the Smokey Valley kits if possible as drilling out all those stanchions would be a major chore.  I'm not aware of any Atlas handrail upgrades for any of the 'classic' or Trainman models.

~RGDave
www.onondagacutoff.blogspot.com

Date: 05/21/15 06:54
Author: CNW

Joe, is this the type of stanchion you are looking for?  I don't believe Smokey Valley ever made this type.  On my model of the CNW RS36, I made them out of brass wire.  I can show details if you're curious but it's not a simple process.

Prototype photo by me in Waseca, MN in July of 1975.

Dennis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/15 06:56 by CNW.

Date: 05/21/15 07:30

That's the style I'm after Dennis. Found your CNWHS article on-line when I was searching for answers earlier - http://www.cnwhs.org/articles/1121826596.pdf .  Beautiful work!

Given my lack of soldering skills, I think I'll take the easy way out and just cut the Atlas handrails up and drill out their stanchions for wire handrails.  I don't think their stanchions look too bad, and the drilling isn't as bad as it seems.  I did it to an old Atlas GP7 back in the day, and most of the scars from drill bits into my fingertips have healed.  :-)

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Date: 05/21/15 10:32

Joe -  The Smokey Valley handrail kits come with the brass stantions - everything you need to complete the job.

Date: 05/21/15 11:01

Smokey Valley Stantions included with the handrail kits are not the ones in the photo, but are nice nevertheless.

Date: 05/21/15 12:55

Okay, so maybe drilling out the Atlas stanchions isn't the easy answer after all.  I think they're a bit smaller than the GP7 stanchions I drilled out about 7-8 years ago...and my eyesight is quite a bit worse as well.  

Being the lazy type, I'd like to avoid filling all those walkway holes from the Atlas stanchions.  Is that necessary if I use the Smokey Valley kits, or do their stanchions just use the factory Atlas holes?  Can anyone point me to an illustraton of the SV RS11 stanchions?  I've been looking on-line, but haven't found any photos that are close enough to get a good look.

Also, the SV #45 kit seems to be the one I'd need.  Any clues as to what their #117 "Package of 4 Alco Stanchions with Braces for RS11 & RSD12" is for?

Thanks very much for your help!

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/15 13:00 by iaisfan.

Date: 05/21/15 13:17

The Smokey Valley stantions will fit in the Atlas walkway holes.  The only caviat is they need to be glued in place & thus you need to be very carefull handling the unit as the glue joints at the walkway are very easily broken.  Mine have been re-glued several times.  Still think it's worh it though as these kits really improve the appearance of the loco - just don't compress the handrails when picking up the unit & you should be OK.
Not sure what the other stantion kits include, but I think their kits are quite good.  I'll try to post some photos of my LV units so you can see the difference if I can figure out how to accomplish that.  Really like the way the pilot handrails/stantions came out.

Date: 05/22/15 04:38

jburek Wrote:
> The Smokey Valley stantions will fit in the Atlas walkway holes.  The only caviat is they need to be glued in place & thus you need to be very
> carefull handling the unit as the glue joints at the walkway are very easily broken.  Mine have been re-glued several times.
>  Still think it's worh it though as these kits really improve the appearance of the loco - just don't compress the
> handrails when picking up the unit & you should be OK.
> Not sure what the other stantion kits include, but I think their kits are quite good.  I'll try to post some photos of my LV units so you can see the
> difference if I can figure out how to accomplish that.  Really like the way the pilot handrails/stantions came out.

Thank you Jeff.  I'm looking forward to the pics.

Given the apparently fragile nature of the SV solution, I may consider another option as well, kind of a hybrid of my original plan - drilling out the Atlas stanchions - and Dennis's approach.  My thought was to use the Atlas stanchions, but remove the extension that the handrail actually passes through (see Dennis's photo above).  I'd simply glue my own wire handrails to the outer stanchion surface using MicroBond or an epoxy, much like Dennis soldered to the outer surface of his metal stanchions.  Once a locomotive is on my layout, I almost never touch it, and when I do, I pick it up by the fuel tank.  So, I really don't need a solution that stands up to a lot of handling.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Date: 05/25/15 10:20

Joe - here are a few photos of some of my Anthracite RR loco fleet.  LV low nose RS11's # 400 & 401 are in here & you can get an idea of what the Smokey Valley handrail sets would look like on your RS32/36 models.

Date: 05/25/15 10:24

Here are a few more...

Date: 05/25/15 10:54
Author: grahamline

Clear parts cement, ("canopy glue") is good for attaching handrails and stanchions. Flows easily and has much more "give" than CA.  Probably saves necessary regluing a lot of the time, if you can't get a snug press-fit.

Date: 05/27/15 11:25

Thanks a lot for posting those Jeff.  Your power really looks great.  Unfortunately, there are some differences between the RS36 and the RS11 (e.g. RS36 has 8 stanchions per side along the long hood vs. 7 on the RS11, and a different stanchion design on the ends).  I could probably make it work if necessary, but I think I might try bending my own and attaching to the Atlas stanchions just to see how that goes.

Grahamline, thanks for the tip on canopy glue.  I might see if I can find it at Hobby Lobby.

jburek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joe - here are a few photos of some of my
> Anthracite RR loco fleet.  LV low nose RS11's #
> 400 & 401 are in here & you can get an idea of
> what the Smokey Valley handrail sets would look
> like on your RS32/36 models.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1084 seconds