Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Model Railroading > Free-mo Module progress

Date: 05/21/15 05:30
Free-mo Module progress
Author: grandeguy

Hello all,

I figured I would update my Free-mo module build as its been some time...........................I will post some more this week.Pictures 1 and 2 I posted previously and the 3rd is a shot I took this morning. Trying to be ready for a Free-mo setup at Deschler Nebraska (Springcreek Hobbies open house) over July 4th. I love building scenery. Just debating whether to add water to the stream I carved out. What is the best water product to use?

Regards, Dave Dane
                                                        Colorado Free-mo

Date: 05/21/15 07:24
Re: Free-mo Module progress

And another view.........................lots of foliage to install as well as fence around cell tower installation.

Date: 05/21/15 07:25
Author: rnb3

Looking good Dave!

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 05/21/15 07:27

Hey Rick............................Thanks! Next module set to work on is Belt Junction.

Dave Dane

Date: 05/21/15 08:04
Author: SeaboardMan

That river looks good, real good.  If you do add water ( Envirotex is what I've used in the past),  think about adding some deep pools by using an eye dropper to spread a little watered down India ink in places before adding the water.  By using an eye dropper you will keep the India ink off of the rocks in the stream bed.  Can't wait to see the finished module.
john

Date: 05/21/15 09:58
Author: bnsfsd70

Looking good!

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 05/21/15 11:47
Author: MGB78610

I think the creek bed looks good without water. Nice work!!

Date: 05/21/15 11:55
Author: superchief73

WOW! very clean and focused results! Very Nice 

Javier Cervantes
Castle Rock , CO

Date: 05/21/15 13:02
Author: wabash2800

Looks, great. What are the large round holes (with tubing?) on the ends since covered up with scenery)?

Date: 05/21/15 14:33

Thanks for the comments guys. The tubes you see in the 1st photo are PVC adaptors for the modules legs.

Regards, Dave Dane

Date: 05/21/15 14:55
Author: wabash2800

Thanks Dave. I saw legs already, so wondered about that.

Date: 05/21/15 17:30
Author: rschonfelder

Tell us more about your module legs idea please.  I would be interested in knowing more about what scenery products you've used as well.  Is that a BLMA brass bridge?

You might need to weather that SP Covered Hopper more if there is a Cell Tower up on that hill.

Rick

Date: 05/21/15 19:01
Author: UPWPFan

Dave

Looks super to me....

Jere Ingram 

Date: 05/21/15 19:10
Author: railstiesballast

Scenic water in river beds is purely optional out west.
Bridges are not optional.
You build the bridges for the once a year or once a decade cloudbursts.
And hope you get it right.

Date: 05/21/15 20:05

Rick,

The scenery products are a combination of Aizona Rock and Minerals, Scenery Express and Woodland scenics materials............................just alot of differrnt stuff. The Bridge is an OMI that I have had for 15 years and have finally put to use. As far as the SP Hopper it is a Tangent I installed Sergents couplers on and weathered the wheels and trucks. Just need to weather the car...............all in do time.

Regards, Dave Dane

Date: 05/24/15 11:17
Author: fbe

The depression for the river is a great idea. I see you cut the front and rear sides from a single piece of finish plywood. Did you consider using spliced 1x4 or 1x6 pine spliced together instead? Have you had experience with modules with a drop like this and opted for stronger framework?

The cross members are numerous and heavy, is that needed to keep the long module rigid?

Thanks for the help.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 05/24/15 12:56

fbe.............thanks for the question. I had no thought to splice lumber for the depression in the frame. I always use 3/4 Birch plywood for my module frames. The biggest reason is the modules I have travel to setups and need to travel well. The frame needs to be strong. Thanks to my friend Jacob Damron of North Texas Free-mo for sharing the frame construction skills with me. The module isnt to heavy either due to the foam board scenery.

Dave Dane Colorado Free-mo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds