Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Model Railroading > Dremel Micro

Date: 05/21/15 11:35
Dremel Micro
Author: retcsxcfm

I bought one of these to help me drill small handgrab holes.
However the chuck will not close down to any where near
what I need.Is there any way I can use this drill on tiny
holes?

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 05/21/15 12:03
Re: Dremel Micro
Author: kdrtrains

I have found that using the Dremel, if you can hold the drill bit, will surly guarantee a broken bit. I use the pin vise and drill by hand. Even then I have broken a few bits.
My old Dremel uses the collets and were a pain to change out for every size bit or tool.

KR

Date: 05/21/15 12:45
Author: BNModeler

Dremel sells different sizes of collets for their tools
I too use a pin vise as using a power tool breaks too many bits and creates way to much heat, melting plastic.

Date: 05/21/15 12:55
Author: wabash2800

There is an adaptor chuck that fits in the Dremel that is sold by someone else. I have one but can't tell you the brand. You can put in a No. 80 drill bit, IIRC. Perhaps someone here can give the specfics. I ended up trading my brother for his off brand hobby drill that is battery powered (rechargeable) as it goes much slower. Even with the variable speed my Dremel had, I like it better for slow speed detail work.

Edit:

Based on what someone (Don) posted below, the adapter chuck came from Micro Mark, IIRC.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/15 14:27 by wabash2800.

Date: 05/21/15 12:55
Author: jburek

...always a pinvise for grab iron holes.

Date: 05/21/15 13:00
Author: sp8192

I 2nd and 3rd this notion...

jburek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...always a pinvise for grab iron holes.

Date: 05/21/15 13:40
Author: Frisco1522

I bought a little chuck from Micro-Mark that works fine.   I drill handrail holes with it.   Just got to be careful.

Date: 05/21/15 14:53
Author: binder001

First, Micro Mark shows a couple of chuck sets that can be used with the Dremel Micro.  I have tried several and they usually seem fine (some can be loose on the #79 and #80).

Second, I used to have a small battery Dremel but even the slowest setting ran too fast for use in most plastic projects.

Third, Pin vise is the most precise, but I have had years of great drilling by using a Dremel-type tool with a very old table-top speed controller.  It gets the speed down and then I can concentrate on "straight in-straight out".  I can do a whole slew of grab iron holes in short order.  So it CAN be done, but it helps to have many years of experience.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 05/22/15 07:28
Author: BAB

Dremel makes a chuck that screws right on to the tool once you take off the collet and nut that holds it in.It closes down to nothing so a drill bit the size of a hair could be used. It works great but nothng prevents breaking bits excpt a drill press does help.
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is an adaptor chuck that fits in the Dremel
> that is sold by someone else. I have one but can't
> tell you the brand. You can put in a No. 80 drill
> bit, IIRC. Perhaps someone here can give the
> specfics. I ended up trading my brother for his
> off brand hobby drill that is battery powered
> (rechargeable) as it goes much slower. Even with
> the variable speed my Dremel had, I like it better
> for slow speed detail work.
>
> Edit:
>
> Based on what someone (Don) posted below, the
> adapter chuck came from Micro Mark, IIRC.

Date: 05/23/15 00:45
Author: tracktime

yes.. Dremel makes a collet that is suitable for very small drill bits 61-80..  I have used it in all of my dremel tools from an ancient 381, to Mity-Mites, to my current Dremel 8100.  The new Dremel Micro takes the same collet.

I believe this collet is the Dremel 483 collet.  Just get the whole set of collets, or find them separately online.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_179430-353-4485_0__?k_clickID=9a843bb0-2d31-4708-8aff-f04558a1e5fc&store_code=3095&productId=1207191&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=%5Bcom.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%40f6d0f6d%5D&storeNumber=3095&kpid=1207191&kpid=1207191&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-RotaryToolsAndAccessories-_-1207191%3ADremel&CAWELAID=&CAWELAID=1368080582

Date: 05/28/15 07:09
Author: Frank30

The  drill holders available from Micro-Mark (or at least those that I have) have a six sided base that will fit one of those rechargeable electric screwdrivers. They go slow enough to avoid melting
and are reversable so you get get the bit out after you've made the hole.  I have a bunch of them, one for each size drill when you need to make multiple size holes.  Also, they are so small
you tend to misplace them.  There is also another slightly larger drill holder for the lower fractional number bits to help with the plastic melting problem.  I do have a number of pin vises
and use them interchangeably  with the micro mark holders.

Frank30

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0566 seconds