Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Model Railroading > Need DCC info.

Date: 05/21/15 21:43
Need DCC info.
Author: SantaFeRuss

I have been told NCE is recommended over Digitraxx. Club will be converting to DCC in a year or three. This is HO. Any other systems that might be recommended? Ideas, opinions, advise are all appreciated.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 05/21/15 22:10
Re: Need DCC info.
Author: fbe

While any brand of decoder built to NMRA standards will work on any system the club installs the same is not true for the controllers. If it is an NCE system then all controllers must be NCE. Digitrax or other brand controllers will not work.

So the more popular controller design and function might be a strong consideration. Some members may have a system at home so they could bring controllers from home on operating nights so the club might extend the purchase timeline a bit to save on the initial purchase.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 05/22/15 02:02
Author: jobrazy

I would say the same for Digitrax. I have 5 boosters, wired and wireless controllers, accessory controllers programmers and reversing loop accessories. They work great. Both are excellent systems. What you want to do is try both controllers and read about how things are done. (My opinion here). If you prefer the more technical, digitrax is more for you. If you prefer a more simplified user interface, NCE might be better suited. Either are excellent, expandable choices that can run a small home to large club layout.

j

Joel Brazy
Coatesville, PA

Date: 05/22/15 21:03
Author: CR4110

I 100% agree with what 4th distric, go with what the majority in your area uses! It will give you a trouble shooting base.

I myself, and 5 other all use Digitrax, being the youngest I got the tals of making it all work..

Posted from Android

Date: 05/24/15 21:51
Author: railstiesballast

I would add: hold the controller in your hand and use it to determine if it is easy to hold and use, preferably in one hand so you have a free hand to snack, sip, pick couplers, scratch what itches, etc.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds