Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Model Railroading > Conrail COSE on the Onondaga Cutoff

Date: 05/23/15 12:50
Conrail COSE on the Onondaga Cutoff
Author: RGDave

We're still in testing phase, but so far so good - Conrail C39-8 6002 is the first DCC and sound-equipped brass locomotive that has entered the fleet on the Onondaga Cutoff!  The installation went rather smoothly, with the biggest challenge being where to mount the 'current keeper' capacitors and the speaker. 

Here we have Conrail train COSE (Colomus, OH to Selkirk, NY) coming to the top of the grade as it climbs the hill south of Syracuse, NY, behind CR 6002 and NS 3539, a B32-8 kitbash I put together from Rail Power Products shells and an Athearn frame years ago.

Enjoy!
~RGDave
www.onondagacutoff.blogspot.com

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/23/15 13:41
Re: Conrail COSE on the Onondaga Cutoff
Author: kinnearyard

When l first opened  Video & Audio l saw the picture and thought l was looking at a real scene. You must have a great layout if it is all looking as realistic  as this. .Great job 

Date: 05/24/15 05:10
Author: sp3663

I love the wheel-clicks, too.
Ron W

Date: 05/24/15 05:33
Author: bluesboyst

Awesome Dave,  I have to come see it some day.....

Steve

Date: 05/24/15 05:39
Author: jimleighty

Looking good Dave!  Yes, the wheel click is very realistic.

Jim Leighty

Date: 05/24/15 05:40
Author: jmbreitigan

Really impressive video.

Date: 05/24/15 06:50
Author: bobdavis

Beautiful job!  Roger on the wheel clicks adding to the overall effect.

Bob

Date: 05/24/15 11:36
Author: stevelv

That's awesome Dave!
Steve B.

Date: 05/24/15 12:25

Thanks for all the kind words, guys!  Much appreciated.  I'm honored that the Onondaga Cutoff made video of the day - thanks to all!

I should mention that the timing is ironic as today is the cutover from the old New York Central RR GRS 'SA' searchlights to the new 'vader' color light signals in the Syracuse area.  As I write this, the signals that are the prototype for what I am doing on the model railroad are being deactivated.

Here's a small tribute that I did last year, knowing their end was near.  http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3303184,3303184#msg-3303184

Thanks for looking, and for all the kind thoughts!

~RGDave
www.onondagacutoff.blogspot.com

Date: 05/24/15 13:52
Author: Betsy

That's a great video, very convincing.  And the sound is nice as well, and generally dislike sound-equipped engines in HO.  But after the locos pass, you generally no longer hear them, which is very prototypical.  Long train! 

Elizabeth

Date: 05/24/15 18:48
Author: resqjon

Outstanding video Dave!

Jon

Date: 05/24/15 19:44
Author: DJ-12

Bravo Dave! I have to come out for a visit sometime and see it!

Date: 05/25/15 05:22
Author: iaisfan

That's outstanding Dave.  Really nice modeling and weathering throughout.  Watching that train, I got the impression that you've paid a lot of attention to proper car routing based on prototype info.  I'd be interested in hearing more about that aspect of your layout.

Also, whenever I see your user name, I always think of you being a Rio Grande modeler.  In an earlier lifetime perhaps?

I really enjoy your work and look forward to your updates.  Thanks for sharing this.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 05/28/15 07:08

Mikey, Jon, many thanks, as always!

Joe, thanks to you for your kind words and continual support!  We do have a complete car-routing system in place, as well as a power-routing system.  I will drop you an email with some of the details to continue that discussion.

The "RG" is a funny story - a club that I was part of, before I started the Onondaga Cutoff layout, had several 'Daves' and so clarification was sought.  My favorite railroad from childhood was the Rio Grande, hence the 'RG'.  I do model their locomotives as they appeared in the middle 1980's as a side project.  But when it came to layout construction, I enjoy the drama of trunk-line main routes in my native Northeast, and selected the former NYC lines under Conrail for the layout effort.

I enjoy your IAIS website and updates as well - neat prototype, and great modeling!

~Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.061 seconds