Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Model Railroading > NP repowered SD45's w/WOW sound decoders

Date: 05/25/15 15:55
NP repowered SD45's w/WOW sound decoders
Author: BaylorMax

Hi, all,

The attached video shows 3 Athearn NP SD45's that I repowered with the Athearn Genesis repower kit and the new Athearn replacement frames.  Then I installed WOW sound Diesel sound decoders in all 3 units.

The semaphores are Tomar and run using Winlok which is an old Windows XP program.  Hey, it works!  Detection and signal drivers are Digitrax.  The signal system has been installed for over 10 years and works well,  The major problem is keeping the Circuitron semaphore operating linkage adjusted.  I've replaced most of the original 1.5 volt bulbs in the semaphores with led's that I purchased from Tomar.

The caboose is an Overland brass import that I painted and decaled  many years ago.

I shot the video using my Canon 7d digital camera.  It's a great camera but does not have the depth of field that I would like for shooting videos of my layout.  Any thoughts on a reasonably priced recorder with great depth of field?

Steve Barkley, MMR

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/25/15 16:20
Re: NP repowered SD45's w/WOW sound decoders
Author: fbe

Looks good but the horn is wrong for the NP. I think you need a 3 chime Pyle. It is far more melodic than what you are using now which sounds like a Leslie.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 05/25/15 16:37

I'll change that.  The WOW decoder makes changing horns easy.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Steve Barkley

Date: 05/25/15 17:47
Author: boejoe

Neat.  Is that also an NP caboose behind the engines?  Can't recall ever seeing so many stock cars in an HO train before.  Thanks for the video.

Date: 05/25/15 18:08

Towards the end of the NP prior to the merger the NP converted two of its wood bay window cabooses to drovers cars.  Externally they were not that different from a bay window caboose, except the numbers of the cars were either 999999 or 999998.  That was fun to decal!

I have seen articles talking about solid stock trains from the Hamilton Valley of Montana through Laurel to the Omaha Kansas City area connecting to the Burlington.  I suspect the UP car is way out of place, however!

Steve Barkley, MMR

Date: 05/25/15 18:38
Author: penncentral74

Those NP-schemed V20's certainly are handsome!

Date: 05/25/15 19:16
Author: tomstp

Best part of that video was the semaphores.

Date: 05/27/15 09:19
Author: ChrisCampi

Nice video Steve. I'm interested in your take on the decoder. How do feel they compare to a Tsunami? 

Regards,

Chris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0293 seconds