Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Model Railroading > SW 8 switcher question

Date: 05/27/15 04:26
SW 8 switcher question
Author: pilotblue

I am looking at some photos of USAX SW8's. They all have a single exhaust stack. Does this indicate a non-turbo or de-turboed version? 

Thanks for any info!

Date: 05/27/15 04:35
Re: SW 8 switcher question
Author: lizzard_45

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_SW8

Paul Liddiard
Spanish Fork, UT

Date: 05/27/15 04:36
Author: 2720

EMD SW8s were powered by naturally aspirated (non turbo)
8-567 engines (V-8)!

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/15 10:10 by 2720.

Date: 05/27/15 05:04
Author: ATSF3751

pilotblue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am looking at some photos of USAX SW8's. They
> all have a single exhaust stack. Does this
> indicate a non-turbo or de-turboed version? 
>
> Thanks for any info!

I am not sure any of the SW locomotive series had turbo equipped prime movers.The SW8 had 800HP.

Date: 05/27/15 05:11
Author: pilotblue

I am finding info that indicates the SW8 came with a 567B prime mover. The B means a different style of water jacket. The thing that got me diggin is the BLI sw8 model comes with two exhaust stacks.

Thanks for the help gang!

Date: 05/27/15 08:22
Author: fbe

None of the SWs were turbo locos. One thousand hp and greater had 12 cylinders and twin stacks. Less than a thousand hp units were 8 or 6 cylinders and only had a single stack.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 05/27/15 18:46
Author: PHall

pilotblue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am finding info that indicates the SW8 came with
> a 567B prime mover. The B means a different style
> of water jacket. The thing that got me diggin is
> the BLI sw8 model comes with two exhaust stacks.
>
> Thanks for the help gang!

According to the BLI website, they don't offer a EMD SW8.
They do have EMD NW2's and SW7's. Both of those units had the twin stacks.

Date: 05/27/15 19:04
Author: lizzard_45

Walthers makes an SW8 in HO scale. You can find several on Ebay.

Paul Liddiard
Spanish Fork, UT

Date: 05/28/15 05:49
Author: lirrman

I think the only EMD switcher w/a turbo was the CSX GP15T which ran w/a turbocharged 8-cylinder 645 engine . The "naturally aspirated" engine referred to earlier is usually referred to as "normally aspirated" on an EMD because Roots blowers (one on the 8-cylinder engine or a pair of blowers on the 12-cylinder version) are used in place of the turbocharger on more powerful engines to provide charge air. The EMD 2-stroke cycle engine has to have air forced into the cylinders because there is no intake stroke (or intake valves). 4-stroke engines like the Alco 539 and some Baldwin engines were true naturally aspirated engines. They just "breathed" in and out.

The 567B had ported coolant inlet and outlet passages for the power assembly cylnder liners. These were prone to leakage so the engine was upgraded to 567BC w/the addition of lower "water jumpers" (short manifolds running from the main coolant supply manifolds running inside the 2 airboxes to the bottom of each cylinder liner) instead of the former ported openings. The 567C did away w/both ports and added the top water jumper (an elbow fitting that connects the water outlet from each cylinder liner to the coolant manifolds in the engine block near the top of the "V").

Of course, we didn't care much in HO scale until sound came along. It's the best thing to happen to model RRing after DCC!

Date: 05/28/15 10:26
Author: chitownjeff

The only emd end cab switchers that were turbo charged was the MP15T, Seaboard System was the original owner and later inherited by CSX they ran with a 8 cylinder 645, even with the smaller block when they notched up you would swear it sounded like a SD40-2

Jeff

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0366 seconds