Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Model Railroading > New Model Railroad-Control Panels

Date: 05/28/15 11:46
New Model Railroad-Control Panels
Author: nkp746

I have been away from TO for awhile, but recently have been enjoying some of the layout progress threads. Since my son and I have also started on a new layout I figured I would jump back in and share some of what we have done.

We started back in the summer of 2014. Having returned from deployment to Afghanistan with a little extra money, and being tired of our current small layout we decided to start over- in a big way. We actually tore down walls and redid the basement specifically for the new layout. (it is a long saga- if interested do a YouTube search for Stephen Bennett Layout Update and the entire history will be there for your "entertainment"...) Thus far we have nearly all the track laid (ME Code 83 flex and Fast Tracks turnouts) and the DCC system is fully operational. We are currently working on the C/MRI components and associated wiring. One area we both wanted to look good were the control panels. I did a lot of "googling" and "YouTubing" and found one example I really liked. It used reverse engraved acrylic panels. A bit more research yielded a company near Pittsburgh that actually understood what we were after, so I drew the panels in Solidworks and had the panels made. We think they turned out well and really like to professional look of them. My son picked the colors (you have to paint the backside) and I think he did a fine job.

These were not inexpensive, but having made previous panels out of Masonite and painted lines we are much happier with the polished look of these panels. Perhaps it might spark some ideas for anyone still pondering how to do their control panels. 

Pics here show the DCC control panel and the two panels for the ends of the classification yard, Eugene East and Eugene West. In a post below I show a couple others.

Rob B.

Date: 05/28/15 11:50
Re: New Model Railroad-Control Panels
Author: nkp746

And here is one of Wallace Junction, a Control Point where a branch line (very loosely the B&LE) joins the main. Also Pittsfield, with a Control Point and the location where we will have a large GE Transformer Factory. 

Rob B.

Date: 05/28/15 11:54
Author: RFandPFan

Really nice Rob!  Very clean looking.

Date: 05/28/15 13:35
Author: pilotblue

Very Nice!!! I like the look very much. There is a faction that would say that everything operated from one of your panels can now be done with keystrokes on a throttle. Tecknically, that is true but how boring that would be for me.
There is a faction from the old days of block control that feel that throwing the switches was part of operating the layout, I am one of those. I have embraced DCC but still like to "make things go"!
Nice Job, keep posting and thanks for sharing.

Roark Shallow

Date: 05/28/15 19:02
Author: gandydancer4

You should be commended; not only for service to our country but for doing the research yourself for what you wanted. It looks VERY nice. I would love to see it all when it's finished. Your son is a very lucky young man that has a father who will spend time with him on something besides sports. 

Date: 05/30/15 02:50
Author: Finderskeepers

Very nice looking control panels.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0554 seconds