Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Model Railroading > MTH HO GS4 4-8-4 decoder change out

Date: 05/28/15 17:55
MTH HO GS4 4-8-4 decoder change out
Author: bnsf70mac

Has any one out there change out the decoder that comes with the ho GS4. Don't care for the MTH decoder but can't find a replacement decoder listed any where. All help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

Date: 05/28/15 20:31
Re: MTH HO GS4 4-8-4 decoder change out
Author: BTCX

Mike,

Replacing the DCS chips in MTH locos with true DCC decoders is not an easy task, especially true for their steamers. Your timing is impeccable, as just tonight I began converting one of MTH's Big Boy to TCS WowSound.

So far I've determined that I will need to do the following to install the TCS decoder:
  • Remove all existing PCB boards (except LED boards.)
  • Rewire all lighting circuits to common anode (positive common) versus the DCS system of common cathode (common negative)
  • Install a new eight wire tether between tender and locomotive. The MTH tether only incorporates 4 terminals because there are two "decoders" in the locomotive, one for the tender and another in the engine itself. From what I can see however, the GS4's don't even use a conventional tether at all, but rather a "wireless draw bar" as MTH calls them. Nevertheless, an eight wire tether would still be needed.
  • Hardwire decoder as normal as with any other steamer once above have been completed.
Hopefully the above will help you know what you're up against. I've done various MTH units in the past such as their turbines, SD70s, PAs, F7s, etc... and every installation was a little different. It can be done for sure but don't expect it to be something that is quick and easy. The only functionality that you may miss over the DCS chip is not being able to control the smoke unit. For me I run with the smoke OFF, but it is definitely something to consider if you enjoy running the loco with the unit on.

Best of luck!

Date: 05/29/15 00:24
Author: bxmoore

I did an MTH GS-4 last year. A Tsunami is in the tender and only supplies sound; a Lenz 1024 decoder is in the loco body and controls the locomotive and the front lights - this means that only two wires travel between tender and loco for current collection.  The MTH tender speakers are excellent so I kept them.  

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,3554005,3554005#msg-3554005

Brian Moore
Plymouth, UK

Date: 05/29/15 05:48
Author: Finderskeepers

I'd just like to change the whistle, everything else is good..but it doesn't sound like a Hancock whistle.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/29/15 07:17

BTCX & Bxmoore, thank you guys for the info. Looks like this one could take some time. I might be asking some more question down the road. Will let you know how much damage there is from me getting tick off at the unit(ex. tossing it across the room)

Thanks Again.

Mike

Date: 05/29/15 09:14
Author: bxmoore

A pleasure.

I did the job on an MTH AC-5 too, only using one decoder (Loksound Select), which was placed in the loco. I again used the two exisitng wires between loco and tender for linking the power collection.  One speaker was placed under the stack, and two more wires went back to the tender to utilise the great MTH speakers (the only good thing about the MTH sound decoder).

Brian  

Date: 05/29/15 14:51

Thanks for the update. Any informatiom will help..
Thanks Again.

Mike

Date: 05/30/15 02:37
Author: Finderskeepers

Does anyone know if MTH offered a better whistle on subsequent runs of this model, or if an upgrade was offered? I have no issues with the decoder itself, just the one sound that is wrong.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.048 seconds