Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Model Railroading > CAD Tools for Layout Design

Date: 06/28/15 14:35
CAD Tools for Layout Design
Author: gp60m143

I will soon embark on drafting plans for my future layout and wanted to garner feedback from the group on what the best CAD tools are for planning and designing a trackplan these days? I was thinking about drafting by hand on graph paper but I have several scenarios where I want to ensure the measurements for the room are matched to the needs of the layout. 

Date: 06/28/15 14:49
Re: CAD Tools for Layout Design
Author: wabash2800

I use 3rd Plan It. You should go with CAD as you can do much more like spiral easements, more precise layout of turnouts with actual templates by brand and depending how far you want to go, grades, scenery, etc. Some brands of turnouts included in the templates allow you to resize them. (For example, I just drew up a pinwheel style yard ladder and had to shorten the turnouts to make it work.) In 3rd Planit with two clicks I can view my track in 3D and run down the track too as if I was sitting on the loco. I also use my 3PI to layout things like templates and scratchbuilt structures, for example. I am drawing up a tower model board (full size) in 3PI. You can print a number of pages and cut and tape them together, but you can also print on very large paper by converting your file to a PDF and having a blueprint shop print it off as wide as 36 inches and as long as you want. I use Cute PDF to convert my 3PI, which is free. Sometimes, I like just printing track center lines and laying it out full size on my layout for complicated sections. You either print your track out like track or just centerlines. I wish the 3PI would print both at the same time.

There is a learning curve, but the tutuorial is good and in one evening you should be able to master the basics. There is also a yahoo group if you need help.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/15 21:05 by wabash2800.

Date: 06/28/15 16:42
Author: 1500fan

I use CadRail and like it a lot.

Scott Hightower

Date: 06/28/15 19:03
Author: navarch2

gp60m143 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will soon embark on drafting plans for my future
> layout and wanted to garner feedback from the
> group on what the best CAD tools are for planning
> and designing a trackplan these days? I was
> thinking about drafting by hand on graph paper but
> I have several scenarios where I want to ensure
> the measurements for the room are matched to the
> needs of the layout. 

I use 3rd PlanIt, as well as Autocad. Draw it in AutoCAD, import into 3rd PlanIt (32 bit).Easy program to master. (3rd).

Bob

Date: 06/29/15 00:43
Author: shortliner

Use XTrkCad - it is  free and very good!

Date: 06/29/15 04:03
Author: Lighter

Careful measuring, a straight edge and a pencil worked for hundreds of years.  Graph paper is a great technological improvement.

Any CAD has a learning curve and some language to master.  The above mentioned CAD packages are aimed at railroad modelers and have simplified many of the tools.  (That's fine)  And have good help.  Check the libraries of common components.  There are important differences in these libraries which might influence your purchase. 

If you are already conversant in CAD DraftSight is a free 2D CAD, fully featured.  For 3D work, (Google, in the past) Sketchup is a solid freebie.  There is extensive on line help for both programs, BUT, not aimed a railroad modelers.  IE., you may need help understanding the help!  There is some on line library work that can be used in DraftSight and Sketchup.  And some files of trackwork that can be imported with file format conversion work.

If you are using a Mac, you are on your own!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0499 seconds