Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Model Railroading > Power change on CSX ethanol train

Date: 06/29/15 03:57
Power change on CSX ethanol train
Author: brfriedm

So I spent some time this weekend testing MTH's new CSX GEVO's to see how they run and pull with other units on trains. I must say that my initial thoughts on these  units has held up. They run so smoothly and can pull a barn over. On this inbound train, they have been testing with 2 Athearn GEVO's (a CP and a BNSF) and they run perfect together and could pull 3 times as many loads without a hitch. This power will shortly be removed from the train and sent to CSX's Philly Eastside Yard engine terninal for servicing and reployment. On the left is the new power awaiting which will couple to the train and head west with a new crew. Have a good week.

Bruce

Date: 06/29/15 04:00
Re: Power change on CSX ethanol train

Some shots of the new power set. I added new LED's to the lead unit also this weekend as the Kato LED's light bars were very weak.(the light comes over very dim) I have gotten pretty good with the LED upgrades.  Thanks Bruce

Date: 06/29/15 04:40
Author: RFandPFan

Nice stuff Bruce.  Thanks for the review of the MTH GEVO's.

Date: 06/29/15 04:42
Author: RGDave

Nice looking stuff here, Bruce, thanks for posting!

How do the modern MTH electronics work with DCC?  Their early stuff did not play nice, thanks to their proprietary "DCS" system.  Are there still issues when consisted to other units, or is it out-of-the-box compatibility?

Thanks!
~RGDave

Date: 06/29/15 04:50

Hi Dave,

I can not comment on that as I bought the DCC ready ones and installed Tsunami's.

Bruce

RGDave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice looking stuff here, Bruce, thanks for
> posting!
>
> How do the modern MTH electronics work with DCC?
>  Their early stuff did not play nice, thanks to
> their proprietary "DCS" system.  Are there still
> issues when consisted to other units, or is it
> out-of-the-box compatibility?
>
> Thanks!
> ~RGDave

Date: 06/29/15 05:19
Author: Cajon92

Great scenes, Bruce. That is an outstanding BNSF power lash up waiting to take the train west! Thanks for sharing,

~Ryan

Date: 06/29/15 06:02
Author: RFandPFan

This is no longer an issue.  I had some early models that had to have the decoders updated (thanks to a fellow TO member).  Now they work fine and consist like any other decoder.  The newer MTH decoders were changed and no upgrade is needed.  They consist exactly the same as QSI or Digitrax decoders.  They consist the same way and CV 21 assigns functions to the consist number as normal.

Hope that helps.

RGDave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice looking stuff here, Bruce, thanks for
> posting!
>
> How do the modern MTH electronics work with DCC?
>  Their early stuff did not play nice, thanks to
> their proprietary "DCS" system.  Are there still
> issues when consisted to other units, or is it
> out-of-the-box compatibility?
>
> Thanks!
> ~RGDave

Date: 06/29/15 16:28
Author: audiom

nice.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0463 seconds