Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Model Railroading > Bowser C636 questions (not complaints)

Date: 07/01/15 23:46
Bowser C636 questions (not complaints)
Author: BandOblades

Hello,

Just a couple questions concerning these locos.

1) Are the QCM (Quebec Cartier Mining) units in the runs with the higher than prototype trucks? If so, should I contact Bowser upon receipt of mine for replacement trucks?

2) I remember upon seeing these on QCM that the crankshaft? end was visible thru the screens at the rear of the units and visibly rotating. Was I seeing things or is that for real? And do these models have that feature if it is real? If not, is there a feasible way to model that on these models? And if so, would the rotating end be able to synchonize with the sound functions on the sound cards inside the models to capture that effect of operation?

Thanks for any answers or advice

B&Oblades
USN since 02, serving proudly

Date: 07/02/15 03:05
Re: Bowser C636 questions (not complaints)
Author: kgmontreal

>
> 2) I remember upon seeing these on QCM that the
> crankshaft? end was visible thru the screens at
> the rear of the units and visibly rotating. Was I
> seeing things or is that for real? And do these
> models have that feature if it is real? If not, is
> there a feasible way to model that on these
> models? And if so, would the rotating end be able
> to synchonize with the sound functions on the
> sound cards inside the models to capture that
> effect of operation?
>
What you saw rotating through the radiator intake screening of the prototype units was the clutch and right angle drive of the radiator fan.  On the prototype units the rear of the prime mover drove first the air compressor then the fan drive.  On the Bowser models these rotating parts are not modeled.  (The Overland models did not accurately model this feature either.)  Modeling the spinning parts would be very difficult as they are in the center of the hood and would interfere with the model's drive components.

As for the truck issue, it depends whether the Cartier models were from the first or second run.  First run models sat too high.  Second run models did not.  I think the Cartier models were part of the second run and therefore should not need the trucks and fuel tanks changed.  A call to Bowser should confirm this.

You will be interested to know that Bowser is preparing to announce the M-636 in HO.  Most of Cartier's units were M-636 units.  The tooling should completed this summer.

KG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/15 03:29 by kgmontreal.

Date: 07/02/15 04:25
Author: BandOblades

Yea kinda figured that the M-636s would be along with their Dofasco trucks soon after the C636s were released.  Will have to consult the roster of the timeframe I was there (2000 and 2001) to figure how many Ms would be needed.  I'm thinking 12-15, and if I get that many, at one time, my wife will try to kill me, lol.  Those might have to be a majority of nonsound units to keep initial costs somewhat under control.

Already know that the old MDC ore cars are about the closest to the ore cars that QCM has, but it would entail kitbashing 2 car bodies together for every one "true to prototype" ore car.  So, that looks like the most daunting of the projects.  On a normal layout, I'm figuring 30-40 cars per train to get a feel for what QCM operated (150+ car trains).  Possibly even 50 car trainsets.  So, if modeling in that 2000-2001 timeframe, that should be 4-5 trainsets.  Not to mention the pulpwood train, the passenger train, and the one freight train.

Has anyone done QCM RS-18s, or just any RS-18 for that matter?  The C630 still on the property at Mont Wright was an original UP, then DMIR, then QCM unit, so might be able to start with a UP C630 for that one unit.  And, has anyone explored modeling the rebuilds that debuted the red-silver-blue scheme?

Has anyone ever heard of anyone building a layout modeled on the QCM or even QNS&L for that matter?

Date: 07/02/15 06:21

Hobbycraft/Proto did RS-18s a decade ago.  But they were not dimensionally accurate.  They were missing about a foot in height from the cab and hoods.  Also there were no low nose versions.  Because the dies were lost they will never be reissued.

I think someone did a low nose cab in resin.  But I can't remember who.  If such a cab exists it would be best to fit it to an Atlas RS-11 shell.

KG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/15 06:25 by kgmontreal.

Date: 07/02/15 08:03
Author: CPR_4000

True Line Trains plans to produce a CP RS18u which is to have corrected the earlier model's shortcomings. It appears that they are also considering RS10/18's based on the new tooling, but according to their website, the models are in "development limbo" because they need more orders. It might appear that the earlier model has satisfied the market and soaked up whatever RS10/18 dollars were out there. Too bad, because I would love to have proper models of those locomotives.

http://www.truelinetrains.ca/locomotives/ho---rs-18u

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/15 08:03 by CPR_4000.

Date: 07/02/15 08:39
Author: speederman01

I re-trucked and changed out the fuel tanks on my BN C636's   They are beautiful models but pretty much gutless.   Just an FYI

Dave

Date: 07/02/15 09:17

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> True Line Trains plans to produce a CP RS18u which
> is to have corrected the earlier model's
> shortcomings. It appears that they are also
> considering RS10/18's based on the new tooling,
> but according to their website, the models are in
> "development limbo" because they need more orders.
> It might appear that the earlier model has
> satisfied the market and soaked up whatever
> RS10/18 dollars were out there. Too bad, because I
> would love to have proper models of those
> locomotives.
>
> http://www.truelinetrains.ca/locomotives/ho---rs-1
> 8u

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for future projects from True Line Trains.  In any event, a CPR RS-18u would not be a match for a Cartier low-nose RS-18.  The two low noses are completely different.

KG

Date: 07/02/15 09:29

kgmontreal Wrote:

> I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for future
> projects from True Line Trains.  In any event, a
> CPR RS-18u would not be a match for a Cartier
> low-nose RS-18.  The two low noses are completely
> different.

Yes, TLT does seem to have some issues bringing things to fruition. IIRC, the QCM RS18's have flat cab faces with no number boards. Certainly a high nose RS18 would be a good starting point for a relatively simple kitbash.

Date: 07/02/15 17:20
Author: arwye

Ken:

It was Kaslo Shops that did the resin low nose.

RY

kgmontreal Wrote:
> Hobbycraft/Proto did RS-18s a decade ago.  But
> they were not dimensionally accurate.  They were
> missing about a foot in height from the cab and
> hoods.  Also there were no low nose versions.
>  Because the dies were lost they will never be
> reissued.
>
> I think someone did a low nose cab in resin.  But
> I can't remember who.  If such a cab exists it
> would be best to fit it to an Atlas RS-11 shell.
>
> KG

Date: 07/02/15 17:30
Author: rschonfelder

Ken is right because the QCM C636's were from the same run as the BN/SP&S units and the fuel tanks and trucks are the modified version.  The motor is still gutless and you will need all three units to pull a train if you want that.  Doing any mining railway ore cars is rather difficult.  As an example, I was just looking at a small booklet which was published around the early 90ies by Hamersley Iron (Australia).  They had rough drawings of each ore car type and there were cars built by various Australian Engineering firms, Chinese and even NSC (Canadian).  You will really want to get into your own injection moulding or 3d printing if you can gain the details of each variant

With regards to TLT's reason for delay on the RS18u, this is BS.  Field of dreams! ... build it and they will come.  The RS18 of any design is highly sought after by Canadian modellers/collectors.  It is the collectors who run the model locomotive production cycle and this rendition will be sold far wider than Eastern Canada or the boundries of British Columbia.  I personally think we may never see the HO PSC caboose and that alone could move things along for TLT financially.  Those orders are all in and I suspect they are adequate to justify production.  My feelings are if we do not see any PSC production samples at Portland late August, then I suggest we may not see TLT in its' current form in future.  Hopefully the tooling for the 40' boxcars, Slab sides, and a few others will survive but not the RS18 of the past because, as mentioned by Ken above, it was all wrong.

I truly hope my harshness on TLT is proven incorrect.

Rick

Rick

Date: 07/02/15 18:18
Author: toledopatch

rschonfelder Wrote:
> With regards to TLT's reason for delay on the
> RS18u, this is BS.  Field of dreams! ... build it
> and they will come.  The RS18 of any design is
> highly sought after by Canadian
> modellers/collectors.  It is the collectors who
> run the model locomotive production cycle and this
> rendition will be sold far wider than Eastern
> Canada or the boundries of British Columbia.  I
> personally think we may never see the HO PSC
> caboose and that alone could move things along for
> TLT financially.  Those orders are all in and I
> suspect they are adequate to justify production. 
> My feelings are if we do not see any PSC
> production samples at Portland late August, then I
> suggest we may not see TLT in its' current form in
> future.  Hopefully the tooling for the 40'
> boxcars, Slab sides, and a few others will survive
> but not the RS18 of the past because, as mentioned
> by Ken above, it was all wrong.
>
> I truly hope my harshness on TLT is proven
> incorrect.

TLT already blew it with the NSC paper cars. They announced theirs first but Altas got theirs to market (much) faster. I had a reservation for the TLT version with my pusher but I see no reason to proceed with that now.

Date: 07/02/15 18:59
Author: emd_mrs1

Stewart did a black/orange QCM C630 [28] in their earlier line (DC Only, customer had to install detail parts). Its rather hard to find.

The last remaining C630 [28] was held as a reserve engine but was also set up to power buildings in the event of power failure. There was a glimpse of it in the Pentrex video on the QCM.

It also had a Leslie S3 horn mounted on the fireman's side of the long hood right behind the cab.

It went south to a museum, maybe in Texas, where it has been returned to UP colors.

As an aside, The BLI RSD15 will be out shortly in QCM orange/black paint. It was previously offered in this scheme however the name was placed differently.

Michael (Edited, I typed the wrong model number, thank you for the correction)

Michael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/15 19:56 by emd_mrs1.

Date: 07/02/15 19:50
Author: toledopatch

emd_mrs1 Wrote:
> Stewart did a black/orange QCM C628 in their
> earlier line (DC Only, customer had to install
> detail parts). Its rather hard to find.
>
> The last remaining C628 was held as a reserve
> engine but was also set up to power buildings in
> the event of power failure. There was a glimpse of
> it in the Pentrex video on the QCM.

It was a C630. QCM never had any C628s.

Date: 07/02/15 20:37

emd_mrs1 Wrote:
> The last remaining C630 [28] . . . went south to a museum, maybe in Texas, where
> it has been returned to UP colors.

It's in Pine Bluff, Ark.

Date: 07/02/15 21:54
Author: tsokolan

There are resin kits available for the Catier ore cars in HO scale through Boreal Trains:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cartier-ore-cars/484942454871533
(note to fear mongers, you do not need a Facebook account to view the link)

The Cartier C636's from Bowser are from the second run, so they have the updated trucks and fuel tanks. I run my 3 together, and have no issues with a weak motor, however there is a lot of geat noise from the trucks, so I plan on going into them for a clean out and re lube. The orange on the models is dark which represents a freash painted model. The prototype orange faded quickly so you may have to weahter/repaint that portion to suite your liking. 

-Trevor

Date: 07/03/15 04:04

Here's a link to a retailer that lists the Kaslo Cartier RS-18 cab:  http://www.canadianexpressline.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=363_364_367_368&products_id=8951

I tried three retailers all of which listed the cab but none had one in stock.

KG

Date: 07/03/15 18:23
Author: CBNS-3852

I would't order a RS18u from TLT without seeing it in person first. The RS-18's LL/Hobbycraft did were a disgrace dimensionally. A properly scaled RS-18 would be a huge cash cow for Rapido or Bowser. I would take 10+ myself in CN and CP rebuild. Toss in some A1A trucks and I would take 10 more.

Stephen

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1266 seconds