Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Model Railroading > double track diverging route, WHAT crossing "degree" ho scale

Date: 07/22/15 12:54
double track diverging route, WHAT crossing "degree" ho scale
Author: robert162

Dear TOs, iam old school here on planning so i could use your help.  i cant figure out what "degree" crossing i need....any input and suggestions greatly appricieated. 
Thanks  Robert162

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/15 12:55 by robert162.

Date: 07/22/15 13:02
Re: double track diverging route, WHAT crossing "degree" ho scale
Author: railstiesballast

If the straight tracks are at normal spacing, typically about 13-15 feet in prototype, then the angle of the crossing has to be almost or exactly the same as the turnout frog because there is no room for a curve between the turnout frog and the crossing frog.
An exception is in the case of curved frogs, which are common in short radius transit systems but rare on conventional railroads.
Atlas "Snap Track" and some others used curved frogs for short radius sectional track.
In this case the crossing becomes curved too, and an extension of the same radius curve. 
I cannot help with defining that crossing frog with one direction straight and one direction curved, but maybe you can find a manufacturer's catalog call-out.
Most diverging routes for model RRs that run modern equipment like auto racks will need No. 5 or No. 6 turnouts, the "Snap Track" turnout is closer to a No. 4.

Date: 07/22/15 14:00
Author: RichM

I went through this about a year ago... if you don't curve the diverging route until after the crossing, the Peco crossing is sized and angled for Peco #6 turnouts, at least the newer Code 83 stuff in HO. You may need a fitter piece or two, and nip a few ties, but for me anyway, I'm satisfied.

Date: 07/22/15 16:55
Author: tomstp

Go back to the left and put crossover from top main to bottom main and solve the problem.

Date: 07/22/15 17:29
Author: 2720

Try a 30 degree crossing!!

Mike

Date: 07/22/15 17:45
Author: mosteam3985

The only way this can be done and look really pretty and correct in a sweeping curve is to hand lay it by eye. I know that's bad news but it's a route I'd suggest looking into. Diamonds are tough any way you slice 'em.

-MB

Date: 07/22/15 19:08
Author: SantaFeRuss

2720 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try a 30 degree crossing!!
>
> Mike

I "second" that.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 07/22/15 20:27
Author: TRACKENGR

If you are using a no. 6 turnout, the frog angle is 9 degrees 31 minutes, 38 seconds.

If you are assuming a tangent crossing (typical to north American rr's), then the crossing frog will be the same as the turnout angle.

If you are attempting to curve your alignment between the turnout frog and the crossing frog then you are on your own and you will need something specially fabricated. (which is probably not possible - I'm assuming)

Hope all works out well for you,
Steve

Date: 07/22/15 22:16
Author: Stottman

I ran into something similar a few years ago, and ended up having to have custom crossings made. Luckily, it was fairly cheap as the crossing was included in a "Fast Tracks" double crossover jig. 

Date: 07/23/15 10:03

Thanks Rich...i printed out from the Peco web site templets of #6 RH and a #6 diamond. looks ok (on paper) see if it gives me a nice flow. thanks for your time  robert

Date: 07/23/15 10:04

Thanks RTB

Date: 07/23/15 10:09

Thanks Tom,  i think i know what you mean, iam looking for two diverging routes (parallel) off of two straight parallel routes just need that one diamond or to plan "b".  thanks  robert

Date: 07/23/15 14:53
Author: wabash2800

Tell me what product you are using and I'll plug it into my 3rd Planit software and see what works.

Edit: I don;t have the North American templates for Peco but tried the code 100 in standard version
with "medium" turnouts and the "long" crossing and it worked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/15 15:14 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/23/15 16:55

Dear Wabash28800,          anything brand code 83 second choice code 100.  After thru the diamond/crossing 30"rad. outside 28"rad inside.  THANKS!!!!   robert162

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/15 17:41 by robert162.

Date: 07/23/15 17:29

Here is Peco Code 83. I could not get Walthers to work with what I had but will keep looking.

Date: 07/23/15 17:55

Here is Atlas Code 83. You need to shorten one end of the one turnout to 9.75" and cut a small piece of flex and curve by eye but it will work.

Note the Atlas products will take up less space.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/15 20:50 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0553 seconds