Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Model Railroading > Atlas yellow box chassis

Date: 07/24/15 12:53
Atlas yellow box chassis
Author: BNModeler

How does the old Atlas yellow box chassis stack up to todays stuff?
Genesis, Kato.... I want to kitbash a locomotive and only need the chassis and walkway as a starting point.
HO Scale

Date: 07/24/15 12:58
Re: Atlas yellow box chassis
Author: grahamline

The GP7 and RS1 chassis are solid cast metal. Good Kato mechanisms, but a fair amount of work to modify, or even to drill mounting holes. Very good runners, with acceptable basic body shells.
What are you thinking about building?

Date: 07/24/15 13:01
Author: Lighter

BNModeler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How does the old Atlas yellow box chassis stack up
> to todays stuff?

The Roco Stuff?  Not very well.  The Kato and Chinese stuff has been around long enough that the used market should be good.

Date: 07/24/15 13:10
Author: Larry020

Older Atlas yellow boxes are from Austria, and made by Roco.  GP40, SD35, and the FP7 had nickel silver wheels, can motors, and light flywheels.  Some or all of these were later imported from Mexico by Con-Cor. 

Which frame a me are you starting with?

Larry

Date: 07/24/15 13:53
Author: jburek

Old Atlas Yellow Box locos also include RS3, RS11, S2, RS1,  C424, C425.  The original Atlas S2's were Roco drives as were the FP7's.  Not Kato drives yes, but still very good runners - the S2's were/are very good pullers.  I think they run very comparable to todays drives/mechanisms - you really can't beat a Kato.  Finely tuned Hobbytown drives were amazing pullers.

Date: 07/24/15 14:49
Author: 70ACE

Larry020 Wrote:
> Older Atlas yellow boxes are from Austria, and
> made by Roco.  GP40, SD35, and the FP7 had nickel
> silver wheels, can motors, and light flywheels.
>  Some or all of these were later imported from
> Mexico by Con-Cor. 
>
> Which frame a me are you starting with?
>
> Larry

Not always true. You have to look at the side label because some of the early KATO also were packaged in the yellow boxes such as the GP7, RS-3, and a few ALCO models: If the box states MADE in AUSTRIA it is ROCO.  If the box states MADE in JAPAN, then you have a KATO chassis with good can motor and drive train all the way down to the blackened metal wheels.

Date: 07/24/15 17:48
Author: BNModeler

I want to build a SD28 starting with a SD35

Date: 07/24/15 17:59
Author: CNW

I've found the yellow box Alcos with the Kato drives are superior to the Atlas Classic Alcos made in China. The Katos have better motors and heavier flywheels.

Dennis

Date: 07/24/15 20:11
Author: fbe

The yellow box SD35 is a Roco product. It is rather dated. The chassis is smooth but be careful to use only plastic compatible lubricants.

The body will need a complete Cannon & Co rebuild. Nose, cab, sub base and everything on the roof.

The newer Made in China SD35 would save a lot of work and give you a more up to date model.

BNModeler Wrote:
> I want to build a SD28 starting with a SD35

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/26/15 00:16
SD45X
Author: SantaFeRuss

What would be a starting point to model an EMD SD45X in HO? Obviously an SD45 shell, but what about the frame? Possibly an Athearn SD45-2 frame or  an SDP45 frame? Any thoughts?

SantaFeRuss

Date: 07/26/15 00:20
1/87 scale SD45X
Author: SantaFeRuss

What would be a starting point to model an EMD SD45X in HO? Obviously an SD45 shell, but what about the frame? Possibly an Athearn SD45-2 frame or  an SDP45 frame? Any thoughts?

SantaFeRuss

Date: 07/26/15 13:10
Re: 1/87 scale SD45X
Author: Larry020

It's best to start a new thread. 

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0689 seconds