Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Model Railroading > NZR DF Update #6

Date: 07/26/15 01:32
NZR DF Update #6
Author: ajgreen

Hi all.

Thought I'd give you a quick update on progress of late.

The NZR DF loco is coming along nicely. The last few weeks have seen the various colours applied (International Orange, Grey and Yellow) with some detail painting of handrails, brake pipes and the like. Last to do was the dynamic brake grill and the long hood radiator grill. These still need some more paint on them, but all is looking good.

Of interest is the motorised dynamic brake fan. This is powered by a small Mashima motor driving a worm gear that transfers on a standard gear at the base of the fan shaft. A series of bearings and a brass mounting block allow the fan head/blades to spin. The fan is controlled by one of the six functions I've got at my disposal. This funciton also has a dimming ability, which cuts the speed of the fan down.

The other five functions are front headlight, front number boards, rear headlight and rear number boards with the final slot being taken up with my running lights that are located above the buffers (front and rear) and behind the cab side steps. 

There are some more touch ups to be done, and the window glazing and wipers to put in. 

Last of all will be the decals, which I'm struggling trying to find here in NZ. If anyone knows where I can source a set of 1980's 1.000m high NZ Railways decals drop us a quick reply.

Enjoy the photos. 

Regards,

Allister 

Blenheim

New Zealand.

Date: 07/26/15 04:41
Re: NZR DF Update #6
Author: Espeekiwi

Looks great, I remember watching those growing up. Good to see the real scheme applied!
Jason
kiwi living in oz and modelling the southern pacific in 1990-1996

Date: 07/26/15 04:57
Author: rschonfelder

Did you solder this together ?

Looking good and I am sure it goes together nicely with some of that fine wine from your Marlboro country.

Rick

Date: 07/26/15 07:23
Author: SandingValve

Remarkable...Followed along since the thickly painted blue model arrived. Quite the transformation.

Great modeling!!
SV

Date: 07/26/15 11:15
Author: ChrisCampi

Yes! Looks great. Would love to see you post a video of that fan in operation when the time comes.

Chris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0353 seconds