Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Model Railroading > Who has the better SD70ACe in N scale, Kato or Fox Valley?

Date: 07/27/15 17:54
Who has the better SD70ACe in N scale, Kato or Fox Valley?
Author: PasadenaSub

I was comparing the NS heritage engines on MB Klein between the two manufacturers.  So is there a consensus on the better SD70ACe between Kato and Fox Valley?  From pictures, it appears the Fox Valley has better details and paint, while I would imagine the Kato is probably the smoother runner.

Thanks for any opinions,

Rich

Date: 07/27/15 18:41
Re: Who has the better SD70ACe in N scale, Kato or Fox Valley?
Author: EspeeGoldenState

I'm guessing you don't own or have test drove a FVM model? They are just as silky smooth operating as Kato locomotives. I've paired up my FVM GEVOs to many a Kato motors and ran just fine together.

Unfortunately I don't own any of they ACe's but I've heard they are just as nice as the GEVOs (I currently own 7), even many people dropping their Kato NS heritage units in favor of the FVM because of details and paint.

I would go for the FVM in my opinion.

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/15 18:42 by EspeeGoldenState.

Date: 07/28/15 10:43
Author: northridgeswitcher

Rich:

They are two totally different products both are very good.

The motor and drive-train is the main difference.    The Kato's will break-in with about 30 minutes of run time the FVM is closer to 1 hour.    They sound (motor) very different.    The FVM sounds more like a Intermountain when running.

The Kato's tend to have sharp clean "Consistent" paint, the FVM tend to have better detail (showing).

If you are modeling the last 15+ years you won't be disapointed in either.

One last point, the FVM use a "Plug In" DCC decoder which is installed in most of their models by removing the rear top area of the locomotive so NO taking it apart as with most other N Scale locomotives.   It is a tight install as the rear LED shares the same space but you can do it.  

Neither company has yet to tool for sound (speaker) although Kato may be getting close and Intermountains first SD40-2 with factory sound are due shortly.

Hope this helps.

Northridge Switcher

Date: 07/28/15 10:45
Author: jc76

I have heard the fvm front windows are way too far apart.....

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/28/15 20:19
Author: MitchGDRMCo

They're not wide enough yes, and it's the main reason I haven't gotten any.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds