Home Open Account Help 389 users online

Model Railroading > Progress on UP 3367 - Intermountain with Lettering Changes

Date: 07/29/15 05:09
Progress on UP 3367 - Intermountain with Lettering Changes
Author: RGDave

Here's the current state of UP 3367, my HO Scale Intermountain model of this SD40-2.  Per Joe Atkinson's suggestion I tried the 'tissue paper with Micro Sol' method to remove lettering on the stock Intermountain paint, so as to modernize UP 3367 from the 1980-era paint to the 1990-era paint, and it worked very well!

1.  Here's the model just after having had the shield and number removed from the cab, and numbers removed from the long hood.  

2.  I applied Micro-Gloss locally ahead of decals from Microscale 87-354 to represent prototype photos from the early 1990's, and added the horns, sunshades, antenna, etc. that come in the box.

3.  Thanks to Don Strack's stellar Utah Rails web page, I was able to trace UP's decision to move from aluminum paint to standard Harbour Mist Gray to about 1984, so gray trucks it is.  Dullcoat and weathering will follow later this week.

Joe, thanks again!  The 3367 will be on the roster for this Saturday's operations session on the Onondaga Cutoff!

~RGDave
www.onondagacutoff.blogspot.com

Date: 07/29/15 05:25
Re: Progress on UP 3367 - Intermountain with Lettering Changes
Author: wheel_slip

Very nice....

Andy

Date: 07/29/15 05:31
Author: wabash2800

Great job and thanks for sharing the modeling tips!

Date: 07/29/15 05:33
Author: sp8192

Good stuff!  Get rid of that plastic horn and replace it with a low profile Leslie SL3 and you are in business!!

Date: 07/29/15 06:23
Author: iaisfan

That turned out great Dave!  Nice work!  It was also great to see that IM paid attention to the wider lettering spacing of the 1970s and 80s era units. I *think* the gray anti-glare panel was wrong for the units as-painted from the factory.  Should have been green for the 1970s scheme, if I'm not mistaken, but it worked out great for you with your updated 1980s/90s scheme.  Happy little accident, as Bob Ross used to say. :-)

I'll have part of the UP 3367 on my model of UP 3273 as well.  I was starting with one of the first-run ex-CNW units with an 81" nose and was going to add a Cannon 116" nose to it, but was concerned about matching the paint.  Called Intermountain, and they set me up with a spare factory-painted snoot nose painted for UP 3367.  Removed the lettering and added the shield, as you did, and presto...I have a UP snoot with chicken wire radiator grills.  Still waiting for the Micro Mask to arrive so I can weather it and apply decals.  In that order.  More to come. :-)

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 07/29/15 07:33
Author: binder001

Very nice work.  The SD40-2 is still a classic unit to the UP fan and yours is becoming a very sharp model.  Thanks for sharing.
Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 07/29/15 09:04
Author: bnsfsd70

Looks good!

- Jeff Carlson

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0373 seconds