Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Model Railroading > IAIS's West End - New IAIS caboose part 2

Date: 08/26/15 12:08
IAIS's West End - New IAIS caboose part 2
Author: iaisfan

Following up from yesterday's thread, I finished the second IAIS caboose today, 9441.  As mentioned earlier, this was just a simple patch job plus weathering.  After seeing it, though, I kind of wish I'd done both like this, but I guess the contrast between the two is kind of fun.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 08/26/15 12:10
Re: IAIS's West End - New IAIS caboose part 2

One more of IAIS 9441 in its natural environs, working the Atlantic Rover at Atlantic, IA.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Date: 08/26/15 12:19
Author: andrewcastle

They look great Joe! I think the differences between the two cabooses add to things, don't change a thing. 

A little bit of proto-freelancing never hurt anybody. If the cabooses add to your enjoyment of the hobby then I say you are doing things right.

Andrew C

Date: 08/26/15 12:24
Author: warrenpweiss

Nicely done (as always)!

Warren

Date: 08/26/15 13:36
Author: funnelfan

Excellent! The chipped and faded paint on the old eagle logo is perfect!

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/26/15 13:57
Author: mdeberg

Joe, Fantastic additions to the railroad!  Very nicely done as always!   :-)

Mike DeBerg
Bloomington, IL

Date: 08/26/15 14:21

Thank you all!  I really appreciate the encouragement.

As a little background, the numbering of these two cabooses had its roots with the Santa Fe.  IAIS's first (okay, only) caboose was originally ATSF 999431.  It was purchased by the IAIS and became their 431 until the railroad gave a locomotive that same number, at which point the caboose became the 9431, since by that time, the IAIS was numbering all their company service equipment in the 9000s.  When I started thinking about building these two cabooses, I asked a friend at the IAIS how I should number them.  It's his job to choose numbers for all prototype IAIS rolling stock, so who better to ask? :-)  He suggested the 9440-series (or maybe I suggested and he approved - can't recall now), staying close to the 9431 but distinct enough to indicate a separate car class.  So there you have it. :-)

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/15 05:10 by iaisfan.

Date: 08/26/15 18:23
Author: CN_SD40u

Joe,

They look great! I always look forward to your posts and seeing the progress you have made. Keep up the great work!

Best regards,

Jeff

Date: 08/26/15 19:06
Author: trainboy03

Either one would look really good behind 250.  Just sayin'... 

Erik

Date: 08/26/15 20:06
Author: JLW2K

Nice as always Joe.  I have to get with you about that IAIS review I forgot about.
-James

Date: 08/27/15 00:13

Thank you gentlemen very much.  Erik, I'm thinking that the 9440 will most likely be the Bluffs caboose, used for shoves over to the UP, so yeah, it'll probably spend a bit of time with the 250. :-)

James, sure thing, we'll have to get together for that review.  Please let me know once you're ready.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Date: 08/27/15 08:33
Author: binder001

Joe, great work (as always).  The caboose project is a free lance that is so based in research of the real railroad that it is completely plausible.  Love it!

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 08/27/15 11:25
Author: dispatchone

Joe,

They both look great and I agree with others, don't change anything.....  but maybe your UP I/C shove caboose should be the one SBW painted in Armour Yellow with IAIS patches !
Don
Omaha

Date: 08/27/15 13:40

Thanks Gary and Don.  Very kind of you.

> ...but maybe your UP I/C shove caboose should be the one SBW painted in Armour Yellow...

I don't think I ever heard about that one Don.  Do you recall the number?

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Date: 08/28/15 05:02
Author: RGDave

Frickin' awesome.  Great work here, personally I love the contract between the two.  

Really good stuff!

~RGDave
www.onondagacutoff.blogspot.com

Date: 08/28/15 05:16

Thanks Dave!  After thinking about them for 15 years, it's been a lot of fun to finally move ahead with this project.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

Date: 08/30/15 07:57
Author: dispatchone

The single Armour Yellow former MP SBW caboose was #13737.  I think Bluford Shops did this model and is redoing it in their next run of HO and N SBW cabeese.
Don

Date: 08/30/15 11:06

Don wrote:
> The single Armour Yellow former MP SBW caboose was #13737.  I think Bluford Shops did this model and
> is redoing it in their next run of HO and N SBW cabeese.

Ah, thanks for that Don.  If anyone else is interested, I found a pic at http://utahrails.net/caboose-photos/MP13737yellow.jpg .

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0713 seconds