Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Model Railroading > USAF GP40-2s

Date: 08/26/15 13:07
USAF GP40-2s
Author: Chestnut

Since I was in the Air Force I always wanted to model the two Air Force GP40-2s stationed at Eielson AFB Alaksa. I used Atlas GP40-2s, stripped and painted both with Floquil dark blue and used Microscale decals. For the nose stripes I had to make my own since the Microscale DODX set didn't include them. The one unit does not have front railings because I was only able to find one Atlas unit without an anticlimber so I had to add a Cannon anticlimber so I'm still looking for an Atlas front railing for the anticlimber porch. Lastly, I added Sergent Engineering interlock couplers. Thanks for looking.
Matt

Date: 08/26/15 13:37
Re: USAF GP40-2s
Author: funnelfan

The way those frames are bent upwards, I'm thinking there is too much stuff stuffed into the shells.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/26/15 14:12

There's plastic pins under the body that fit into the frame. I removed them and they lay flat now.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/15 14:22 by Chestnut.

Date: 08/26/15 17:20
Author: boejoe

As a resident of a state where "snow" is that other unpleasant four letter word that starts with an "s", I'm guessing that the shovels on the nose of each unit are for clearing frogs and other weather related 'obstacles' along the rails....

Date: 08/26/15 17:32
Author: BNModeler

Very nicely done!!!!

Date: 08/26/15 17:34

Yep shovels and brooms for snow removal thanks guys!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/26/15 18:18
Author: gandydancer4

Verrrry Nice. Love those 'E" type couplers too

Date: 08/26/15 23:15
Author: miralomarail

At the Rail Shops Hill AFB Ogden , UT  March 23rd 1993

Date: 08/26/15 23:54

Killer picture thanks for sharing! I just rusted the wheels on my two since the Air Force seems to keep these units spotless.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/27/15 06:53
Author: SPDRGWfan

Were those made from the Athearn RTR GP40-2 or the Genesis GP40-2?

Cheers, Jim

Date: 08/27/15 08:08

Jim, decorated Atlas GP40-2s that I stripped down. Both have sound and operating beacons.
I will take pictures later as Ted mentioned the frames were warped due to these small pins that go into the holes in the metal frame. I removed them and they look much better now. Thanks for your reply,
Matt

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/27/15 12:46
Author: SPDRGWfan

Ah, reason I asked is that some of the Genesis GP40-2's had issues with misaligned side sills, but usually because of the way they were seated at the factory.  They could be straightened but it took some effort to get things aligned and of course it's fragile too.  A couple of mine came bowed from the factory and even when I sent one back to Athearn, it was better but not totally straight and they commented something about the way the tank was mounted it was not possible to get it totally arrow straight.  I never understood that because two of my Genesis GP40-2's were nice and straight so go figure.

Anyway, you did a nice job detailing those! 
Cheers, JIm

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1134 seconds