Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Model Railroading > CLIC and SPINS questions

Date: 08/27/15 18:37
CLIC and SPINS questions
Author: atsf121

I'm modeling the Santa Fe & Southern Pacific lines around the Pinole, CA area circa 1995.  So I have my trusty Altamont Press Timetables (just got #6 for 1995 a few weeks ago) along with Amtrak California timetables.  I also was able to by a copy of the Santa Fe track charts from around 1995 for the Western Region which were really helpful and interesting.  Hopefully I can find something like that for the Cal-P one of these days.  

The next set of documents I'd like to find are the CLIC and SPINS books, but I'm not sure what to look for.  Were they done by Subdivision (Stockton, Martinez) or something different?  Would one book cover a whole subdivision, or am I looking for certain zones (think that's how they were divided)?  Anyway, looking for helpful pointers and a little more background so I can do a more targeted search to cover from about Benicia to Richmond/Oakland on the SP and from Richmond to Antioch/Stockton on the ATSF.  Also, would those have been updated as late as 1995, or do I have to look from something a little older?  How frequently were the updated?

Thanks, I know that's a lot of questions.  And answers to these questions will probably lead to more questions down the tracks.  :)

Nathan

Date: 08/27/15 21:34
Re: CLIC and SPINS questions
Author: AZSP

SPINS were done by zones.   I'm sure there was a methodology that determined how each zone was derived, but I don't know what it was.   For example, I have the SPINS for the Coast Main from Simi to Burbank Jct. which are SPINS zones 60-64.    Each track spot SPINS number is simply the zone + the lead number assigned.  For example, 6065 was the Terry Lumber spur (in 1987; Simi being in zone 60).   SPINS books contain the length of the spurs, number of cars and eventually a reference to the customer including the address and phone number.  

I believe SP continued to produce and update SPINS books until the UP acquisition.   I have several SPINS from 1987, 1990 and a track chart from 1995.   There are a couple of websites with SPINS information; one for example focusing on San Jose and another with copies of the San Francisco peninsula SPINS.    You can occasionally find the ones you want on EBay...for example there are a couple of Oregon Division, Brooklyn sub SPINS books up for auction now. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0358 seconds